Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search and I know there are numerous threads about the B5 S4 but I cannot seem to get anywhere. First off I bought a plug and play unit from someone on these forums. I plug the unit in and it powers up, reads the DVD and all but the radio doesnt work. I cannot get any station to tune in. I have the radio antenna plugged in too. Also one of the antenna plugs or whatever it is, doesnt fit into the little harness with the purple clip, the plug is too big, it wont stay. None of the button lights light up when I turn my headlights on either. I also heard that I need to tap into the instrument cluster and splice some wires? What is that about?? Plus I have a subwoofer I had installed by a professional audio shop. They tapped into the factory wiring harness. Now with the navigation unit plugged in, the amp and sub wont turn off even with the car turned off and key out of the ignition. Also There is a brown plug that doesnt fit anywhere on the navigation unit. It doesnt have many wires but do I need it? And what about the plug on the back of the RNS-E that nothing plugs into? What is that for?

Any answers would be much appreciated!

[/img]

·
Registered
479 Posts
The brown connector in your hand is for the front speakers, the adapter harness sound like it is the one for a Bose equiped car and therefore doesn't have the front speaker brown connector.

The Diversity aerial connector needs to be removed from that housing by releasing the mauve clip and added to the adapter from the rns-e.

the unused grey socket on the back of the rns-e is for the TV module / DVD input.

Also if you have the bose harness you will need to remove a ground wire that disables the front speakers.

Depending on which model audi you have, you may need to get the "gala" speed sensor and "k-line" diagnostics from a connector in the back of the instruments.

Have a look around this site as all these tasks have been done and there are some great step by step instructions on how to do it. look through these links http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462

lots of people have reported mis-wire harness adapters, the Kufatech ones seem to be the best, this is a link for my one http://shop.kufatec.de/product_info.php/info/p165_RNS-E-Adapter-for-Audi-A4-Cabrio-8H.html

Until you are satisfied you have a correctly wired adapter harness you had best leave the other problems on one side, some of them may go away with a correctly wired adapter. Also you may need the two CAN leads (CAN Hi & CAN Lo) which tell the unit to switch on/off and to light up, etc. again depends on audi model.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
CMarkham said:
I have done a search and I know there are numerous threads about the B5 S4 but I cannot seem to get anywhere. First off I bought a plug and play unit from someone on these forums. I plug the unit in and it powers up, reads the DVD and all but the radio doesnt work. I cannot get any station to tune in. I have the radio antenna plugged in too. Also one of the antenna plugs or whatever it is, doesnt fit into the little harness with the purple clip, the plug is too big, it wont stay. None of the button lights light up when I turn my headlights on either. I also heard that I need to tap into the instrument cluster and splice some wires? What is that about?? Plus I have a subwoofer I had installed by a professional audio shop. They tapped into the factory wiring harness. Now with the navigation unit plugged in, the amp and sub wont turn off even with the car turned off and key out of the ignition. Also There is a brown plug that doesnt fit anywhere on the navigation unit. It doesnt have many wires but do I need it? And what about the plug on the back of the RNS-E that nothing plugs into? What is that for?
Sounds like you have several problems there.

First, the buttons not lighting up - even though you have an S4 your RNS-E must be coded for an A6 to make it understand the CAN bus commands in your car (because it's a B5). Until you do that your buttons will not light up and your unit will not turn on/off with ignition. And since your unit must be coded for an A6 it WILL need a spearate speed signal for both the navigation and GALA to work properly.

Second, radio antennas - it sounds like you do not have the correct antenna adapter. Either that or, you do realise that you have to slide out the purple part of the adapter to fit the original connector inside?

Third, the amplifier staying on - this is a VERY common problem caused by incorrectly wired adapters. Usually the amplifier on signal is connected to the wrong place (a permanent 12V feed) so the amplifier stays permanently on.

Fourth, the brown connector - that doesn't connect to the RNS-E. It's the front speaker outputs from the RNS-E. If you have a fully amplified system, like Bose, then you don't need that connector.

Fifth, the unused connector on the back of the RNS-E - that's for connection of a TV tuner or video input. If you don't have either of those then you need do nothing with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased this unit from Proxus so I highly doubt that anything is wrong with his adapter.

I do have BOSE so I dont need to worry about that brown plug? GOOD!

I have removed the small purple clip to insert the antenna but the metal plug is way way bigger and will not fit. Even if it did fit the tip of it would stick way out. I had one hell of a time removing the original black piece of plastic from it. I ended up just breaking it off.

So for the subwoofer problem, how can I fix that?

And lastly you say I need to code my unit for an A6? I guess I need to VAG-COM the car? Is there a set of instructions on that somewhere?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like I need this adapter instead for the ZF antenna. It is for an RNS-D though.

https://www.euro-parts.us/product.php?productid=16143&cat=263&page=1

According to NSXJR's write up, the one I have (Which only has the antenna wire on it and no diversty wire) is for Symphony II upgrades. My B5 S4 came with a Symphony I and supposidly requires the RNS-D adapter. Can anyone confirm this??

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
CMarkham said:
Correct the wiring of the adapter.

CMarkham said:
And lastly you say I need to code my unit for an A6? I guess I need to VAG-COM the car? Is there a set of instructions on that somewhere?
I would say that 99% of RNS-E installations require either the car of the RNS-E to be re-coded using VAG-COM, and since you are installing the RNS-E in a car that it was never designed to be installed in (a B5 A4) you should have been led to expect that using VAG-COM would be essential.

Search for the very detailed instructions that have been posted here about installing the RNS-E into a B5. They will give you ALL the VAG-COM programming details you need.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PetrolDave said:
CMarkham said:
Correct the wiring of the adapter.

CMarkham said:
I would say that 99% of RNS-E installations require either the car of the RNS-E to be re-coded using VAG-COM, and since you are installing the RNS-E in a car that it was never designed to be installed in (a B5 A4) you should have been led to expect that using VAG-COM would be essential.

Search for the very detailed instructions that have been posted here about installing the RNS-E into a B5. They will give you ALL the VAG-COM programming details you need.

err did i mention i dont know anything about wiring. What am i changing on the wiring here???

Plus is it necessary to do rewiring behind the instrument cluster as on NSXJR's writeup? That was a C5 A6 though. PROXUS's site says a little bit of wiring behind the cluster is needed for the B5 platform.

Sorry, but as you can see i know nothing about this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've retrofitted an RNS-E into my B5 S4. NSXJR's guide is your bible. It will show you how to tap into the connector behind the instrument cluster to get your speed signal and hook to the CAN bus. Follow the steps in the Symphony I to RNS-E guide and you will be all set.

You are correct - the adapter you linked to (which says its for an RNS-D) is what you need for your install. Prior to getting your radio working try an audio CD in place of the Nav DVD - this will let you check your sound.

NSXJR also has wiring diagrams that you can use to check your adapter.

SMF

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SMF said:
I've retrofitted an RNS-E into my B5 S4. NSXJR's guide is your bible. It will show you how to tap into the connector behind the instrument cluster to get your speed signal and hook to the CAN bus. Follow the steps in the Symphony I to RNS-E guide and you will be all set.

You are correct - the adapter you linked to (which says its for an RNS-D) is what you need for your install. Prior to getting your radio working try an audio CD in place of the Nav DVD - this will let you check your sound.

NSXJR also has wiring diagrams that you can use to check your adapter.

SMF
Thanks, its good to know someone else here did a B5 S4 install.

I have checked the plugs on the wiring harness I recieved that plug into the Symphony I connections and there are some discrepencies. Some connections from the wiring harness I recieved go to nothing. But if I move pins around from the Symphony I connections as stated in NSXJR's write up it might be alright, I dont know. See I know nothing about wiring. I'm wondering if I can just take this thing to Tweeter or something....

·
Registered
517 Posts
PetrolDave said:
First, the buttons not lighting up - even though you have an S4 your RNS-E must be coded for an A6 to make it understand the CAN bus commands in your car (because it's a B5). Until you do that your buttons will not light up and your unit will not turn on/off with ignition.
Dave, not strictly true. I agree it must be coded for A6, but purely for the speed signal, because the A4/B5 does not have speed signal over CAN. It will understand ignition and light messages just fine. As a matter of fact I am running my RNSE coded for A4 in an A6/C5.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
bjarne said:
PetrolDave said:
First, the buttons not lighting up - even though you have an S4 your RNS-E must be coded for an A6 to make it understand the CAN bus commands in your car (because it's a B5). Until you do that your buttons will not light up and your unit will not turn on/off with ignition.
Dave, not strictly true. I agree it must be coded for A6, but purely for the speed signal, because the A4/B5 does not have speed signal over CAN. It will understand ignition and light messages just fine. As a matter of fact I am running my RNSE coded for A4 in an A6/C5.
I stand corrected!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would use the NSXJR's wiring diagram to check your connector. You don't have to know wiring to see if the wires go from the correct pin on one end to the correct pin on the other end. You may need to go some where to get the pins moved as I think you need a special tool. NSXJR or TeddyBGame could tell you that. If you want "professional" help TeddyBGame built my harness for me and did a super job - highly recommended.

I would start with Proxus since you said he sold you the harness. Go over you system and its configuration and confirm that he sent you the correct harness. If your harness is correct you should get sound out of all speakers and the Nav will work without the Can setup. Can and speed signal (along with bjarne's cangate device) will get you a fully functional Nav system that turns on when the car turns on and with buttons that light when the headlights are on.

One thing you could do is talk with TeddyBGame. He can take your existing harness, correct it if it needs it, and add wires for the CAN/Speed signal as well as pre-wire the harness for bjarne's cangate device. This will greatly simplify your install. I think I had mine hooked up in a couple of hours using great care on the install.

You can send me an email if I can help in any way or give you moral support!

SMF

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SMF said:
I would use the NSXJR's wiring diagram to check your connector. You don't have to know wiring to see if the wires go from the correct pin on one end to the correct pin on the other end. You may need to go some where to get the pins moved as I think you need a special tool. NSXJR or TeddyBGame could tell you that. If you want "professional" help TeddyBGame built my harness for me and did a super job - highly recommended.

I would start with Proxus since you said he sold you the harness. Go over you system and its configuration and confirm that he sent you the correct harness. If your harness is correct you should get sound out of all speakers and the Nav will work without the Can setup. Can and speed signal (along with bjarne's cangate device) will get you a fully functional Nav system that turns on when the car turns on and with buttons that light when the headlights are on.

One thing you could do is talk with TeddyBGame. He can take your existing harness, correct it if it needs it, and add wires for the CAN/Speed signal as well as pre-wire the harness for bjarne's cangate device. This will greatly simplify your install. I think I had mine hooked up in a couple of hours using great care on the install.

You can send me an email if I can help in any way or give you moral support!

SMF
I wonder if I could convince TeddyBGame to come hook it up for me! Hes in Mass and im only in Maine. Its only an hour and a half drive if that.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I sent you Bose adapter because you wrote in the mail
I have a 2001.5 Audi S4 with Bose
From the picture I see that you have non-Bose setup. I can replace your adapter with none-Bose if you want, no problem.

For the rest of the installation you can check this video:
PLAY VIDEO »

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That video seemed to help a lot. Now it looks a little easier to do than to have to remove pins on the wiring harnesses. Now I have to ask about the reverse sensor. Does it mess around with your location too much? Do I really need to tap into it?

Also the adapter for the radio antenna is incorrect. The Diversity plug does not fit into the single pigtail plug (which I have since found out is for Symphony II units). Upon looking at euro-parts I need the 2 pigtail piece that was originally for the RNS-D navigation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I taped into the reverse wire simply because it made the install more correct. If I recall from NSXJR's writeup it only causes a minor hickup if you don't have it connected and back up a bit. You can always take it one step at a time and do it later.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have never hooked up the reverse wire, and in the two years I have had the RNSE, I have never noticed any difference in the time to re-aquire the street position. At one point I connected a switch to it, and told it manually when I was in reverse. I could not tell a difference. I live in an area with fairly open view of the satelites, and I am guessing that if you live in a city with tall buildings there might be an advantage.

Yes, you need the dual wire antenna adapter, as you had a Symphony I in your A4 B5. Another good reason to use the trusted sellers from this forum :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Who is a trusted seller here? Ever since I joined PROXUS seemed like one of the most trusted.

P.S. I'll be needing one of those CANGate's so my ETA will be correct. :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts