Audi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me to recover my bricked MMI 3G+ / 3GP (preferable located in Switzerland or the Netherlands)?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Made 3 connections to main board (serial connection) and could copy required files with telnet, than it came alive again

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Made 3 connections to main board (serial connection) and could copy required files with telnet, than it came alive again
Me too i tried to recover a bricked 3G+ 8R1035666 C unit with the serial connection to the main board (RXD pin5 to the top,on the bottom TXD Pin 5 + Ground Pin 10) and Tera Term application on my pc but no communication from the unit!!!
I have two 666 units killed during a software upgrade by SD and I would like to recover them.
Any help will be greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What operating system did you use?

With Windows 8.1 I didn't succeed, but with Windows XP and TeraTerm version 3.13 I did (with Putty or newer version of TeraTerm I also did not succeed).

Further on you need a TTL USB adapter with 5V instead of standard RS232 12V .....

As I did not succeed to mount sd, I did put the MMI3GApplication on a cd and mounted that one. But of course you need to have
communication with the unit first

Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I used Windows XP of course but with Tera Term 4.83 and an old USB to RS232 "Hama" converter that probably wasn't the good one.

I have to try with the 3.13 version of TeraTerm and maybe find out a TTL USB adapter like the second one of your images?

During my tests the 666 unit didn't communicate with the terminal

Thanks for the support now I have to try again

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
TT.3.1.3.jpg
Gived a try with my old Dell and his docking station with a real serial port and the teraterm 3.1.3 version but no joy !!
Here the screenshot with the only strange message I can obtain....

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
View attachment 2255
Gived a try with my old Dell and his docking station with a real serial port and the teraterm 3.1.3 version but no joy !!
Here the screenshot with the only strange message I can obtain....
That looks like an incorrect baud rate setting to me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have had that problem as well. According to some information on the internet that could be cause by either voltage problem (> 5V) or baud rate settings like petroldave mentioned.
When I had the problem I reseted / restarted the MMI and "normal" text appeared and I could copy the MMI3GApplication from the cd ....

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Thanks Dave and Nirela, my informations for the serial settings are
Port 1
Baud rate 115200
Data bits 8
Stop bits 1
Parity none
Flow control XON/XOFF
I believe this should be the right setting, I also tried with speed 57600 w/o success...I have the MMI unit on my desktop and I can't do the standard reset with the 3 buttons procedure.. Can I restart the MMI with a computer command?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Finally got the comunication with the broken unit using the right SERIAL to USB 2.0 UART TTL converter and Teraterm 3.1.3.
Now I have to learn QNX 6.3.2 recovery commands:oops::oops:
Anyway the bricked MMI seems to be coming to light:):)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Tonight I won the battle with the first of my bricked units.:p:p:p
Many many thanks to Nirela for the support!!:cool::cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts