Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys grls

i am new to audi just purchased a 2004 1800T QUATTRO CONVERTIBLE and i must say i wish i had done it years ago it came fitted with a syphony unit in the console but i want to fit the navplus system and wwould appreciate any help with first identifiying the right navplus unit for the job part number etc

and any other wiring bits and pieces etc also i have never attempted anything like this so easy step by step instructions form someone that is patient :lol: i enclose a picture of my console so you can see my dilemna rying to fit a navplus unit into a space that is half its size :? like i have said take it easy on me im new but eager

or would it be a lot easier to fit a PIONEER AVIC-X1R head unite with sat nav etc ?

i would prefer the navplus unit as i do not want to spoil the look of the console in my car ? [/img]

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Since you have the single-DIN Concert II head unit and not the double-DIN Symphony II head unit you would first need to retrofit a double-DIN radio cage before you start with the RNS-E. If you have never done this before and have no dealer who would do it for you either, installing a single-DIN 3rd party navi might be the better option.

·
Registered
530 Posts
As mentioned above unfortunately for you you have the single din Concert stereo and NOT the double din Symphony.

The retrofit is possible (I did it last weekend) but involves a significant amount of work (took me about 7 hours).

You'll need the following: a RNS-E unit (8E0 035 192 C was the model I got for a B6 sedan, but you'll need a slightly different model number for the cabriolet), double din climate control (or 'modify'/cut your existing one), a double din chassis/cage, a wiring harness, a GPS antenna, and a radio antenna adaptor.

Just getting to the stage where you can remove the single din chassis is a LOT of work - here is a couple of pics when I was at that stage..

Note that you'll also need to 'modify' you console (or buy another one) - made a lot easier if you completely remove it like I did..

Here is a pic of the install almost complete:

And here is one final pic of everything re-installed and operational:

Good luck!

·
Registered
530 Posts
FYI part number for the cabriolet/convertible RNS-E is 8H0 035 192.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Alister for your very informative installation procedure after some carefull tjought i have considered i do not want to butcher my new car and have spoken to one of the expert forum members (NW, England UK
- Craig Barnes )
who has agreed to convert and fit the navplus system into my car i now just have to purchase the system and give him a call and he ahs assured me i wont regret it ! 8)

just wish i could get it all done now so i could go out trying to find places i have never heard of and never realised i wanted to visit them :lol:
thanks for all your help and i will kepp you posted on how the install went ! :wink:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Fair enough - it can be a little daunting and I was somewhat reluctant to tear my car apart and take to the console with a jigsaw and pocket knife! Aside from being REALLY time consuming it's really not that bad.. 8-[

All the best with it and let us know how you go!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Congrats - that's a really good price.

Are you sure it's the right model though?

As I posted above the part number for the cabriolet is 8H0 035 192 and not 8E0 035 192 as the eBay ad states. The 8E0 model is for the B6/B7 A4 sedan/wagon and probably has a slightly different faceplate..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
was told this unit will be ok by my fitter so i went with it as i am totally in his hands he may have to alter faceplate i dont really know ?

but he was ok with it lets just see i am wishing my life away now waiting for it to arrive so i can then get it fitted woohoooooooooo :lol:

·
Registered
530 Posts
OK, good luck with it.

Make sure you post some pics once everything is in.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The 8E0 RNS-E should fit fine in an A4 Cabrio but must be coded properly to work. If it remains coded for an A4 sedan/avant, illumination may not work and the unit will not turn on/off with ignition. Just make sure you get it coded properly and you will be fine.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
The 8E0 RNS-E should fit fine in an A4 Cabrio but must be coded properly to work. If it remains coded for an A4 sedan/avant, illumination may not work and the unit will not turn on/off with ignition. Just make sure you get it coded properly and you will be fine.
Don't worry Dirk, I'm doing the work.

Craig

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Good to hear, then there is really nothing to worry about :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol:

Craig has completed the install despite a couple of setbacks and can i say what a professional job he has done !

As far as i can see its as good as any factory fitted option and a damn site cheaper it also works which is a bonus it told me how to get home without any problems or getting me lost :wink:

BIG BIG THANK YOU TO CRAIG :D

Will post some pics of the finished artical tomorrow 8)

Now where did i put that manual :wink:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Congratulations - looking forward to seeing the pics!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went and purchased 2 x 2 gig sd cards and a reader and rushed home to tranfer lots of mp3's and guess what 2 hours of d/loadin and transfering mp3's slotted em in and guess what happened ?

Nothin thats what happened corrupted file doh!

Eveything was fine or so i thought untill i checked the cards properties it had been fomatted in FAT not FAT32 Grrrrrrrr

So i reformatted and transfered all my files ran out into the car slotted home my cards and Bingo ! woohooooooo

It works

Im still familiarising myself with the satnav by using it every oppurtunity and i must say how impressed i am i have used others like tomtoms etc and this is by far the best i have used personally and i can say without a doubt its the best upgrade i could have done for the money on my pride and joy!

THEM PICKS WILL FOLLOW SOON I PROMISE

P.S does the satnav show speed camera locations like other aftermarket devices like tomtom etc

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Paul

Glad your happy with the install, unfortunately no speed camera data, although in certain countries I beleive this information is transmitted over TMC.

Craig

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.