Audi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 B6 S4 that came with the Bose Symphony II and factory navigation. I recently purchased the rns-e and installed it into the car. Everything works fine except for one problem. I am getting ZERO satellite signals. The gps antenna is located by the glovebox area and someone suggested that the gps antenna (blue part) is not connected to the navigation "tightly." I tried to fix this problem but I can't seem to take the navigation out of the car. I used the audi radio removal keys to take out the symphony II but no matter how hard I try, it does not "click" into the navigation, do they use different keys?

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Keys are the same for both units but require more finesse with the RNS-E unit. A lot of keys slide off the catching latch on the RNS-E unit especially if they are flexible enough. You may need to find a buddy that can help you and then one of you tackles one side while the other one of you does the other side.
You may need to force the keys (use slight pressure and bend up on top and down at the bottom) to make sure they catch and do not slide off the catch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh ok, I will try that later. Also, assuming you are not in some underground hole where there is absolutely no signal, do you guys get instant satellites as soon as you connect the navigation to the GPS or did you guys have to wait and drive around.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
It takes a couple of minutes to get enough satellites but the first one shuld show up in a minute or two. If you have a VAG-COM you can check the fault codes to see if it detect the GPS antenna, even without satellites.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright, I will try this. Also, another thing. My factory nav is also operational and when I check the status of that it says 5 of 8 satellites, do I have to disable this in order for the rns-e to work?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I wouldn't keep both connected.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Locate the navigation unit in the trunk and unplug the 8 pin power connector, leaving the 20 pin connector plugged in. This way the CAN bus is properly terminated but the unit is still powered off. You can als try to find a fuse for it but I don't know if there is a seperate fuse for the BNS unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. I removed one of the (smaller) plugs and now its powered off - the factory nav. I am now getting 0-2 satellite signals with my rns-e. I am wondering if this is because its still in orientation mode or if the location of the satellite is "that bad". It's behind the glovebox. Should I try something before I go get it re-installed? I'm guessing since its receiving 0, 1 or 2, there is no problem with connection.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I have mine behind the instrument cluster, tucked between the dash board and the metal bar, and I get usually about 4 downtown Chicago and about 7 with open sky for a couple of minutes.

Did you get a GPS antenna with the blue FAKRA connector or with the SMB connector? The latter one doesn't work that well with the RNS-E.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
You need to be receiving at least 4 satellites to get a GPS fix, so 0,1 or 2 is no good.

In my B6 S4 I've got my GPS antenna on the underneath of the dashboard above the glovebox. When I had it on the top of the glovebox I only got 4 or 5 satellites (less on a bad day) and the navigation was rubbish. Since moving it up (it's stuck on with double sided tape), I'm getting 7 or 8 satellites and the navigation is excellent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh icic. I told a professional audio installer to put it behind the glovebox, im hoping that soon I will get a gps Fix. If not, I will go back tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
As I said you need AT LEAST 4 satellites for a GPS fix. If you're only seeing 0, 1 or 2 satellites you will NEVER get a GPS fix.

If you don't get a fix within 5 minutes then you're not going to get a fix!!!

Bottom line - you need to move your GPS antenna.

What most people forget (or just don't know) is that GPS signals are VERY VERY VERY weak, so the top surface of the antenna must have a clear view of the sky. That's why manufacturers mount GPS antennas on the roof.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. Also, I am trying to recode through the rns and I made a mistake and I am trying to change the software coding but it is not letting me, do you know anything about this?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
What version of VAG-COM software/cable are you using? Did you check the k-line in your RNS-E adapter? Without k-line you won't be able to code you RNS-E.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KEY-USB version, latest software

I plugged in everything in the back of the rns-e.

I originally changed the code, then I got a fault code and now I can't code back to the original value, everytime I click "do it/done" and I go back to re-code, it shows the old value, not the new value

·
Registered
19 Posts
GPS SAT fix

I would recommend connecting the factory NAV antenna to the RNS-E. Audi, and virtually EVERY other manufacturer puts the antenna on the outside of the vehicle for a reason. I know several people who have used these aftermarket antennas in the dash successfully though. But there are several problems with this approach. 1) There are several control units and obviously miles of wiring under the dash, great chance of inductive interference to and from antenna due to data wiring, control units, power/ground wiring, and airbag ignition wiring. 2) coiling any wiring inherently causes signal distortion due to inductive interference. 3) Most of the aftermarket GPS antennas have a permanent magnet on the back to mount them with ( magnets and sensitive electrical equiptment do not mix well). And 4) I work on these cars for a living, and there is nothing worse than to see a beautiful S4 which has 3 meters of wiring stuffed under the dash like a large ball of speghetti. You already have your factory GPS antenna , it makes no sense not to use it, and all the adapter harnesses are off the shelf parts at the Audi Dealer. If my clients don't have a factory GPS antenna I either retofit one, or put the sqauare antenna all the way on the rear parcel far from the speaker (carfully removing all trim, and routing wiring with main harness). This is the reason my installations cost more than some, but I refuse to comprimise quality.

·
Registered
78 Posts
K-Line to RNS-E

hi i saw you are talking about K-line connected to the RNS-E to what pin is it connected?

can this be the problem my Cd changer is not working can t play a cd, it loads and unload cd's, i see them in my navi, can select them and then wohen i push the big round button to selct , noting happens..

i even tried to recode my new RNS-E , can t change the code.
and my bluetooth worked yesterday, today not anymore?? doesn t even see my mobiel phone with bluetooth.

greetz charly

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Re: K-Line to RNS-E

charly_holland said:
hi i saw you are talking about K-line connected to the RNS-E to what pin is it connected?

can this be the problem my Cd changer is not working can t play a cd, it loads and unload cd's, i see them in my navi, can select them and then wohen i push the big round button to selct , noting happens..

i even tried to recode my new RNS-E , can t change the code.
and my bluetooth worked yesterday, today not anymore?? doesn t even see my mobiel phone with bluetooth.

greetz charly
For PIN layout, check your sticker on the top of the navigagation.
K-Line neeed to be connected to your TEL interface and proper coding need to be entered in NAV soft coding and TEL interface as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts