Audi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
thought I'd ask before pulling my Q7 to bits. I have a Tekonsha P3 from my old Touareg and want to fit it to my new Q7 (yeah the Q7 is sooooo much nicer than the Touareg!).
The Touareg was prewired for a controller to connect to the trailer connector under the dash on the drivers side. Is this the same on the Q7?
Where have folks mounted their controllers?
Any issues you have experienced? Do you need to hook up to the brake wiring on the brake pedal (as I had to on my Touareg) to get braking signal? Which wire is it?

TIA
BH

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bit more info...took the lower dash on driver side apart and a 4 pin connector block is there as in a Touareg. It normally holds 12V, Gnd, Brake apply, electric brake to trailer.
Found 12V, gnd and brake apply, but the cable that should be the signal to the electric brakes on the trailer does not seem to go to the trailer connector. (Checked continuity to what should be the electric brake pin on the connector from the connector under the dash with a multimeter - no continuity, then tried all pins, but no better!)

Checked a wiring diagram for the trailer connector on Elsawin and it doesn't seem to show an electric brake connection!!!

Does anyone know what Audi did here? The Touareg connected straight thru - don't know if the Q7 is different or I need to code the Trailer controller or I have a bad connection somewhere!

Thoughts? Otherwise its off to an auto electrician or Audi dealer!

TIA,
BH

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some more info....the 4-pin connector under the dash goes to a 2 pin connector in the rear wheel well...thats why I couldn't get continuity - doesn't go to the trailer connector.
So the 4 pin plug at the dash has power, gnd, and 2 wires to the rear connector in the wheel well. One is for the electric brake signal to the trailer, the other I expect is for connection to the brake light.

So...now all I have to figure out is how to get to the trailer plug from the 2 wire connector in the wheel well.

Need to pull a bit more apart and find what/ where wiring to the trailer connector is.

Very confusing - think they would have wired straight to the trailer plug????

BH

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hoorah!!! Found the problem!
So for those in the future:
1. There is a 4 wire connector under the dash on drivers side. It has power, earth, brake signal, electric brake signal
2. Connect your tekonsa to these 4 wires - Audi have a matching connector and 2.5mm wires with pins available - give them the number of the connector in the car and they can supply the matching connector and pins
3. Check in the trunk to the right of the tire change equipment for a 2 pin connector - it goes to the front under the dash to the tekonsha. The cable is just to the right of the Nav DVD drive - if fitted
4. Check it has a 2 pin cable plugged into it - if not search around in the same area for a 2 pin connector that matches the other connector - plug them together. (This was my problem!!!)
5. Check that the electric brake wire on the trailer connector (or adapter cable) is connected to the correct pin - mie wasn't!!! (Note I have a Euro 13 pin trailer connector that does not know about electric brakes as a standard, so I have an adapter cable that plugs between this and my trailer - it was the adapter that was wired incorrectly! Audi techs!$#%!%!%!%!!!!!)

Done - it should now all work.
I mounted my Tekonsha between the steering wheel and the center console about half way up and half way across - is clear of everything.

Hope this helps someone!!!

BH

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
What's a "Tekonsha"? It's not a word or brand I'm familiar with...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PetrolDave,
you need to get out more often - stop being on the forums!!!!

This link may help - they make electric brake controller in good ol' USA!

Tekonsha

Great products - particulalrly the P3!

BH

·
Registered
1 Posts
4 pin Plug for Break unit

Hi,

I understand that there is a 4 pin plug under the dash of my 2008 Q7 TDI to connect my electric break unit to?

I do not seem to be able to find it can anyone help?

I have found the 2 pin plug in the rear of the car.

PM

·
Registered
189 Posts
4 pin Plug for Break unit

Hi,

I understand that there is a 4 pin plug under the dash of my 2008 Q7 TDI to connect my electric break unit to?

I do not seem to be able to find it can anyone help?

I have found the 2 pin plug in the rear of the car.

PM
Is this the same plug as the Q5? I made a cable for my Q5 and wanted to know if I can reuse or if the connector is different. Also,i have a factory installed installed on my 2014Q7, do you think the 2 pin connector in the back would be disconnected?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts