Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am hoing to get some help here, i have just sold my 2002 Audi A4 Sport, in this car i retro-fitted my RNS-E and DVD Player from connex and thanks to the people on here it made my life a lot easier, anyhow to cut a long story very short, i have purchased 2006 Audi A4, This car only has a single din unit with single cd player, my questions are as follows as i would love to take out all my equipment from my 2002 A4 which i am in a position to do.
Q1.Is it a major Job to remove the DIN units(Double Din from 2002 and Single Din from 2006) from one car to another?and will the Din Unit from my old car work in my new one??

Q2.Will my old Climte control/Air Con Unit work in my new car providing i cant get the double din Unit out??Are the connections for the air con the same from the 2002 Model to the 2006??

Q3.Also i want to take my Steering wheel from my old car(only bought it last month)and fit it to my new Audi, as you are aware the Airbag and wheel are a different shape in the 2006,will my steering wheel work ok in My new car??

As always thanks for any help you can give.
Dec in Dublin

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You should be able to swap the radio cage to convert the new car to double DIN. For the A/C controller you would only swap the housing and leave the electronics in the car it came from. If you have never done that before I would estimate that it takes a whole day but it is certainly possible.

For the steering wheel and airbag, I would not recommend to swap those parts due to technical and legal concerns raised here and on other forums.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The problem you are going to have is the centre console, going from double to single din will leave holes below the aircon unit. If I had to do this I would just buy the double din Audi radio and complete the single to double din conversion which is well documented.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
You should be able to swap the radio cage to convert the new car to double DIN. For the A/C controller you would only swap the housing and leave the electronics in the car it came from. If you have never done that before I would estimate that it takes a whole day but it is certainly possible.

For the steering wheel and airbag, I would not recommend to swap those parts due to technical and legal concerns raised here and on other forums.
Thank you very much for your help, I will now leave the wheel, i am sure i can pick up the proper S-Line wheel for the 2006 maybe on E-Bay, just to clarify, you are suggesting that the A/C Unit in the 2006 Should fit in the double Din from my old car and also the A/C Unit from my old car should fit in to the sinle Din once i put it into my 2002 Audi??so therefor the connection are the same??
again thanks for the advice
Dec

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TDiAvant said:
The problem you are going to have is the centre console, going from double to single din will leave holes below the aircon unit. If I had to do this I would just buy the double din Audi radio and complete the single to double din conversion which is well documented.
Thanks for the help also, but i dont understand what you mean?? what i am saying is by moving the double din cage from my old car and useing the A/C from my new car i should not have any Hole? i am assumming it will all fit in fine,No??
Thanks
Dec

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Based on what I read so far, there are tens of different A/C control units for the B6/B7. But the housing is always only one of for kinds: with/without heated seats and dingle/double DIN. You should be able to swap the internal electronics between the two housings and by doing so, leave the old A/C/ electronics in the old car and the new one in the new car. You basically just swap the housings, assuming both cars don't/do have heated seats.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I am reading this as you what to convert your old 2002 double din car to single din. If so the centre console will have holes on either side below the aircon unit. If the Centre consoles are the same colour then you could swap them over.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Note that you'll also need a special screwdriver to remove the fascia - from memory a little star shaped one.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Alister said:
Note that you'll also need a special screwdriver to remove the fascia - from memory a little star shaped one.
That's a Torx driver - available in several sizes. If you are going to be doing some mores retrofits to your Audi I would suggest you get a kit of different sizes - they are used in many places in Audis.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello all
Starting this work on Friday and i am just wondering is there Pics or Illustrations anywhere for removing the double din unit??
Thanks again for the help
Dec

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all
Work carried out and a complete sucess(I hope) Thanks very much for the advice, I am very please with it, my friend did all the work really and he had it(Both cars) finished in under 4 Hours.
Dec

1 - 12 of 12 Posts