Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This form gave me the motivation to retrofit a RNS-E into a A3 2002 model. A few things i should tell you about my car before i get to the issues are that my car is a euro import, it is not a uk one, if that makes any difference.

The rns-e i bought is for an Audi A3. (I bought this before reading a lot of the posts on the forum and am not sure if i have made a mistake and that the A3 rns-e fully works on a 2002 model car)

I got the navigation cable with the unit and also the antenna. I have installed a Dietz 1280 Canbus interface.

The problems i am experiencing right now are that:
1. after 30 minutes the unit switches off
2. the buttons do not light up when the car lights are switched on
3. the rns-e does not always switch off when the key is removed from the car, if i wait a short time from switching the car off to taking the key out then it will switch off. some times it switches of when the river door is opened and the key has already been removed.
4. the rns-e does not always switch on when the car is started
5. the rns-e is unable to detect the v-signal, i am not sure if i have picked the right cable from the read of the speedometer.
6. the rns-e is unable to detect the audi tv tuner when plugged in.

However, when i switch on the navigation manually and set a destination the nav seems to work fine apart from the above issues. I have not programmed the car via VAG-COM yet as i only has version 3.09 and this will not connect to NAV system. Is this the reason i am experiencing these problems.

Your help would really be appreciated on these issues.

Thanks,

Raj.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Your car should already have the required CAN signal at the intrument cluster, no need to use a CAN adapter. The 1280 is a video in motion adapter and it won't help you much to get yoru RNS-E working without a valid CAN signal.

I would first determine if you have an 8L or 8P model A3. The 8L is the old style, the 8P the current style. if you got an A3 with factory install radio you should already have the CAN wires in the 20 pin connector I behind the radio (pin 7 and 12 in the middle section).

Once you found the CAN wires you will need to code your car and the RNS-E to match each other. If you got an A3 8L you would need to code the RNS-E for an A6 and add the speed wire. You should check the instrument cluster #17 channel 62 and make sure that you have a 5 set in that channel. If you have an A3 8P you will need to code the RNS-E for A3 and use speed over CAN. Some say that the 8P doesn't need any coding change in #17 or then CAN Gateway but if no head unit came with the car factory installed, this may not be true.

Good luck...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Audi is a A3 8L, I have found someone local to me who has the latest version of VAG-COM and we will be programming the car this weekend.

Secondly, would the tv tuner not be accessable unitl the car is programmed, as i have bought the unit and am not sure that it works. So should i wait until the car has been programmed before contacting the person who i bought it from regarding it being faulty.

Thanks for all your help,

Raj.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Have you wired up the tuner correctly and is it a C version

If your can wires are not connected to the tuner/rns correctly you will never see the tuner and reading your posts earlier suggests you do not have the can connected to the car at all yet.

Craig

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have just checked my tuner and it is a B model, is it true that this unit will not work with my rns-e unit. Secondly initially i connect the tuner to the can wires at the rear of my stereo and this would not work. Then i bought a Dietz 1280, took feed from the rear of the instrument cluster for can and fed the tuner from the dietz and this still would not work.

So what i really need to know is whether the B version is compatible or not?

Thanks,

Raj.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The B tuner does not work with the RNS-E, the RNS-E doesn't even see it. As I said earlier, the 1280 is the video in motion modul. It should be wired between the car and the RNS-E to allow video in motion, nothing else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that help, really appreciated. I thought i got a good deal when the seller of the tuner told me it is compatible with the rns-e and it was reasonably cheap.

So what is the best way for me to connect a dvd player to the rns-e?

Thanks

Raj.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Dietz 1417 or similar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for all your help last week. I had the unit coded at the weekend by Barry in Beckenham. He was really a great help. What we have realised is that the car needs a can-bus emulator for the light and switch off, as these are the only two things which are not working.

Do any of you have any advice on what i should be looking for in terms of the emulator?

Also my unit does not seem to read backup disks, is this a common problem on the rns-e or is it down to the media which is used?

Thanks

Raj.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Are you sure you need a can bus emulator on an 02 car?

If you bought an A3 RNS-E and it is still coded for A3, then it will not work correctly in your car.

You should recode it for A6 and pick up the speed pulse from the cluster.

I can pretty much guarantee that a 2002 A3 will have can bus, I have just checked Elsawin and it states canbus from 2001.

Do you have the orange/lilac orange/brown wires on pins 7 and 12 of your 20 pin connector?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi there,

Barry recoded the unit for the A6 and i have taken the speed pulse from the cluster and this all works fine. The unit still does not light up or switch off.

The 20 pin connect does have the can cables not sure of the colours will check tonight, but we also tried to take feed from the can cables from the cluster and this still did not work. Whilst searching on the internet we found that one person who has installed the rns-e in a A3 8L used a can emulator.

So not really sure what is wrong. Really wanted to get your advice before buying a can emulator as they are not cheap and have already made the mistake of buying the dietz 1280.

Finally i noticed from Elsawin that my model car has three connectors on the instrument cluster, however my car only has two, the blue and green. Also my concert II cd player would light up when the lights were switched on and also switch off when keys removed from ignition.

However, Barry did spend a lot of time testing different things on saturday (he mentioned that he knows you well craigyb) and also came to the conclusion that the car may need a can emulator.

So at this stage am really confused.

Thanks for all your help
Raj

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Oh, 2 connectors on the cluster doesn't sound good, yes an infotainment CAN enabled cluster should have 3 connectors, grey, green and blue. It's the grey connector you need for infotainment can bus.

It sounds like you have the convenience canbus for your radio, does your car have the DIS in the dash? I would guess your wires are orange/brown orange/grey.

According to Elsawin you have convenience canbus if you don't have the Drivers information System and I had the same issues on an A6 without DIS and had to use a can bus emulator.

Craig

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you had a concert II then you had CAN in your car. But the Concert II works with both the Comfort CAN and the Infotainment CAN. The RNS-E needs the infotainment CAN, it doesn't liek the Comfort CAN.

That being said, check the wirking plans for you car and see if there is the Infotainment CAn at your instrument cluster. You will also need to tell your cluster that there is now a device onthe Infotaiment CAN, otherwise it won't activate that CAN. To do so check #17 channel 62 and set a value of 5 (1+4).

obenobd.org says that this value is only valid with a Highline cluster (the one with the DIS/FIS), so if you don't have the little LCD in you cluster, you may not be able to code it properly and therefore need a CAN emulator.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I may not have put it so well ,but basically what I said, but according to the ELsawin docs, you need the grey connector for Infotainment can bus.

I think without that you will need a canbus emulator.

Craig

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When we checked at the weekend #17 channel 62 just said error. So i presume that it is not the infotainment can and only the convenience can.

I think you answer that the concert II cd player works on both the comfort and infotainment is the key. So it would work with lights and ignition with just the convenience can.

OK, now off to find canbus emulator on ebay, does anyone have any recommendations for the one i should buy or are they all pretty much standard apart from the fact that they should be for rns-e.

Thanks,

Raj

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for that, i have just ordered from ebay. Will let you all know how the install goes one the item arrives.

Thanks again for all of your help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just installed the can emulator and it seems to have got worse. Still not lights, but now when i switch the car off it never turns off. It used to occasionally switch off if i took the key out slowly. The unit also still switches off after 30 minutes.

Do i need to program via vag-com to get the can emulator to work?

Thanks,

Raj

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I would make sure the RNS-E is coded for an A6 when using the can gateway. If it is coded as an A3 it will not be able to understand the can messages.

Craig

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The unit has already been coded for an A6. Is it a case that #17 channel 62 needs to be set to 5, as we were unable to do this last time as the was not infotainment can.

Thanks

Raj

1 - 20 of 23 Posts