Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to All,

First, I introduce myself : I am Patrick, and I am from Paris - France.
My last Audi, who is my seventh one, is a A4 B7 Avant, equipped with a GPS RNS-E.
Following the different detailed installations showed on this Forum, I have bought a Dietz 1417 and a Boss DVD 3000B DVD player.

I have just finished the installation who looks fine :D .
Here is a picture:


However, I am facing a problem :( : I have some big interferences and parasites. The image has some continous horizontal parasites. Another example, is when I switch on my car, I can hear the sound (a little one) of my engine (who is a gasoline). And when I turn on the exteriors lights, I have, again, another new noise :(.
Where it could come from? Why I have so much interferences in my installation? Is it due to the way I have wired the connections!! :?: (all directly behind the RNS-E).

I have made the same installation in my previous A4 B6 with the RNS-D, and I have never met this problem.

Thanks for your thoughts and supports.

Gasy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,817 Posts
You could try to connect POWER directly from the main fuse. below steering wheel you have main power switch.

[siteimg:dd80c4ddba]505[/siteimg:dd80c4ddba]

This should fix the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Proxus, I will try in this way.

I have also ordered a filter against interferences. I hope it will improve the quality.

Gasy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
With video noise the culprit is often poor internal 12V filtering (usually in the DVD player).

If you've got that problem with video, it could be the source of the audio problem.

However, you could also have a ground loop noise problem between the DVD player and the rest of the system.

Here at my installation shop, video gear has far more noise problems than audio gear - the low-cost DVD players are not as well engineered to be noise resistant as in-dash CD players are.

You might end up with a power filter on the DVD (MAYBE the switched AND the constant 12V) and a ground loop isolator on the audio. If so, try to get a ground loop isolator that doesn't hurt the sound quality (in the US, Soundgate makes one called the Iso2Lite that is the best cheaper one I've tested. I think they are SoundLinx in the EU, not sure...)

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,767 Posts
Looking at the 1417 (at least some revisions), they were using unshielded wires for both video and audio. If this gets to close to other signals (e.g. the unshielded power and ground wires in the 1417 harness, noise in both the audio and video signal shouldn't be a surprise. Try to route the cables in a different way if you have the option. Also start with one device only and see if you get the same noise. if the Dietz 14 17 is already producing the noise without a DVD player connected, that might help to locate the root cause for your issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
It's not so strange what do you report for your 1417. In my car I have the oem TV that is connected behind the RNS-E exactly to same pins of 1417 and I always had audio noise problems but when I connect thru the 2 Aux-in on Module TV a DVDplayer and an Hd player I'm obliged to hear more audio noise and with the HD also to see Video-noise. I tried to route the cables in a different way and I've a little less Video-noise than before but the problem in Audio still remain. I have a ground loop isolator on the Audio that cuts 90% of noise but unfortunately it cuts some frequencies too. I'm very interested in resolution of this problem. :evil: :evil:
Video noise:

My DVD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@all : thanks for your comments.

@AudiA4B6US : I have to remove my glovebox (I forgot to install the IR sensor), and I will take this opportunity to change the path of the wires. But I think your comment is quite true because at this time, the Dietz 1417 is very closed to the RNS-E unit. And maybe, it is too closed :( !I think I will stick it in the back of the glovebox, more far than now.

@a4ss4abt : I will keep you inform.

Gasy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
gasy said:
@all : thanks for your comments.

@AudiA4B6US : I have to remove my glovebox (I forgot to install the IR sensor), and I will take this opportunity to change the path of the wires. But I think your comment is quite true because at this time, the Dietz 1417 is very closed to the RNS-E unit. And maybe, it is too closed :( !I think I will stick it in the back of the glovebox, more far than now.

@a4ss4abt : I will keep you inform.

Gas
Many thanks for the infos I have also DVB-T awaiting to be reconnected in my system but at this moment in stand by for the mentioned problem. I've the doubt that RNS-E was engeneered with more attention at his owned functions as Navigation, Radio......than the quality of the inputs signals of external devices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello,

For your information, I have connected a VAG-Com to my A4, to activate the VIM.
Unfortunately :( , it does not work :? . It is not able to record the new value (255 instead of 1) to have it. Why? I do not know.
So to have the VIM, I can confirm you we are obliged to install the Dietz 1280 interface.
Thing I will do quiclky.

Gasy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
gasy said:
Hello,

For your information, I have connected a VAG-Com to my A4, to activate the VIM.
Unfortunately :( , it does not work :? . It is not able to record the new value (255 instead of 1) to have it. Why? I do not know.
So to have the VIM, I can confirm you we are obliged to install the Dietz 1280 interface.
Thing I will do quiclky.

Gasy
Who said it was possible to recode with 255 the channel for VIM? Dirk is trying to to discover the trick but it's a very diffcult process.
So I confirm you are obliged to use 1280 or as I've done, making the recoding as A6 with switch on speed signal.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
What has been said on here is that a value of 250 or 255 appears to enable VIM withut breaking the navigation, BUT that we currently do not know how to enter that value.

Many people are working on solving this question ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello,

a4ss4abt said:
making the recoding as A6 with switch on speed signal.
I do not know this way. What is it exactly? Is it possible on the RNS-E?

PetrolDave said:
What has been said on here is that a value of 250 or 255 appears to enable VIM withut breaking the navigation, BUT that we currently do not know how to enter that value.
Many people are working on solving this question ...
I hope they will succeed in :) .

Gasy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,767 Posts
If you code the RNS-E for an A6 and use a discrete speed signal you can add a switch to turn the speed signal on/off and allow VIM while the speed signal is off. The dicrete speed/Gala signal is only used in the A6 C5 but there is at least one guy who has used one of the signals available in his A4 B6 as speed signal. This still breaks navigation though while speed is cut.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
If you code the RNS-E for an A6 and use a discrete speed signal you can add a switch to turn the speed signal on/off and allow VIM while the speed signal is off. The dicrete speed/Gala signal is only used in the A6 C5 but there is at least one guy who has used one of the signals available in his A4 B6 as speed signal. This still breaks navigation though while speed is cut.
Sorry but in my A4 B6 I can navigate and have VIM.There is just a litlle delay in some situations but RNS-E is capable to navigate also with GPS signal only. In my car the default is VIM always active because the price to pay when you cut speed signal is 5-10 minutes awaiting the RNS-E wich has to adjust it-self and begin to navigate but If the zone is covered by 6/7 satellites it syncronizes in few minutes. In fact I've disconnected 1280 because with that box navigation was absolutely blocked
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,767 Posts
Using GPS only may work if you are never with less than 3 sat. I'm parking on the 5th or 6th floor in an underground garage, my journey starts most of the time between pretty high buildings and there are tons of underpasses. I tried GPS only and it wasn't sufficient for route guidance (it was usable in the suburbs to view the map and get an idea where I am though). In fact, even the under dash GPS antenna wasn't sufficient but I didn't notice until I connected the roof mounted OEM antenna.

So yes, GPS only will make the navigation work after a couple of minutes. But if you really have no idea where you are and need route guidance, it not precise enough this way to rely on it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
a4ss4abt said:
In my car the default is VIM always active because the price to pay when you cut speed signal is 5-10 minutes awaiting the RNS-E wich has to adjust it-self and begin to navigate but If the zone is covered by 6/7 satellites it syncronizes in few minutes.
So for a few minutes your navigation doesn't work .... if you're in a strange town centre you can get REALLY lost in a few minutes.

To me that equals you cannot have VIM and navigation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
Using GPS only may work if you are never with less than 3 sat. I'm parking on the 5th or 6th floor in an underground garage, my journey starts most of the time between pretty high buildings and there are tons of underpasses. I tried GPS only and it wasn't sufficient for route guidance (it was usable in the suburbs to view the map and get an idea where I am though). In fact, even the under dash GPS antenna wasn't sufficient but I didn't notice until I connected the roof mounted OEM antenna.

So yes, GPS only will make the navigation work after a couple of minutes. But if you really have no idea where you are and need route guidance, it not precise enough this way to rely on it.
But don't forget if I have some problems of navigation it is very easy to switch on speed signal having full GPS-SPEED-SIGNAL navigation active .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
The point is that you CANNOT simultaneously have VIM AND accurate usable navigation with any system that interrupts the speed signal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PetrolDave said:
The point is that you CANNOT simultaneously have VIM AND accurate usable navigation with any system that interrupts the speed signal.
That's what I am looking for :shock: !!

Gasy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
gasy said:
PetrolDave said:
The point is that you CANNOT simultaneously have VIM AND accurate usable navigation with any system that interrupts the speed signal.
That's what I am looking for :shock: !!

Gasy
Sure but the point wasn't "to discover the warm water" but simply which chosen is better between 1280 and what else. I never wanted VIM during navigation in the middle of a city but when you are driving for a couple of Km. in highways the A6 trick is better than Dietz because permits to navigate and have VIM and the cost is 0. When I had Dietz installed the long highway travels were always without navigation possibility if I wanted VIM. And fortunately I don't live in Chicago or similar cities so in my region Vim+Navigation is possible but i did not want to contest anybody :oops: :oops: .
Gasy have you found something of new about interferences and noise? :) :)
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top