Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks ... first off, great web site. With the help of this site I've been able to add some bluetooth/XM capabilities to my 04 A8L. However I have a few more questions ... and since it seems A8L/MMI/FiberOptic systems are not often discussed here .. I hope someone can help.

Basically, I have the above noted vehicle/system with the factory NAV and I want to add DVD capabilities. From what I was reading about RSN-E systems you need a Dietz 1280 and 1417 to make what I want to have happen work ... but my question is, will that same hardware work on the MMI A8L system? Are there provisions somewhere in my car for that? Where would said connections be?

Also ... where does one go about buying this hardware? Do you folks have a favored source in the UK or Germany to buy Dietz hardware from? Any info is appreciated... I want to add DVD in motion to the factory nav screen, if possible.. tia!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
These Dietz devices are for CANbus systems and will not work with your MOST fiber optics. There are options for adding video inputs to your system though... and factory options at that. If you search the forums here there was a discussion about adding the control unit for the TV tuner (the actual TV tuner is not required) to get a set of A/V inputs into your system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps my search skills are just really bad, but I was unable to find said thread. I've looked a few times for TV-addon to MMI/fiber and havent found the links you speak of... any help you can provide would be great. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
No the 1417 and 1280 combination will not work.

What you need is a TV tuner/FBAS module and a video input lead.

Kufatec sell the kits for the TV tuner, but that is only half the story, what they sell you is the TV tuner and cables to connect it to the MMI.

Next you need an upgraded FBAS module to connect the video output of the tuner to the front screen, I always used to think that this travelled on the MOST bus, but it is a direct connection between the TV tuner and the FBAS module (front controller).

The FBAS module in your car will probably not be enabled for TV, as I found out recently when I swapped the FBAS unit over, it had the fakra connector for TV, but my TV and DAB radio stopped working as its software was old. ALso my phone reverted to an old version, no phone book sync etc and my DVD nav screwed up altogther.

So hopefully when Kufatec upgrade mine for reverse camera and the latest parking radar, I will get all my functions back.

If you want TV, then you need a new antenna system in the rear window and 4 cables to the tuner.

Lastly you would need a video input adaptor. To connect your DVD player to the tuner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
craigyb, thanks for the wealth of knowledge.

Okay so this is what i would need...
http://shop.kufatec.de/product_info.php/info/p338_TV-Tuner-paket-A8-4E.html
Correct?

You mentioned my needing an upgraded FBAS module to connect the video output of the tuner to the front screen. How do I know if I need this or not, and where does that come from?

It seems like the "kit" above would do most if not all the work but .. does it come with instructions? Does Kufatec ship overseas? This is seemingly more difficult than i had wished... :(

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
You see there last bit of text in the description...

Further required components:
- Display interface for TV (with FBAS connector) - ask us!
- TV antenna (left + right) incl. wiring harness ( 249 Euro)

I found out that if you car doesn't have TV, then the FBAS unit supplied will not have the software for TV. So you cannot select TV from the MMI controls if your FBAS does not support it. It is confusing because Audu have about 20 different FBAS units on the parts listed for various chassis and options. Most of them with the same part number, but different revsions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know what coding/ECU of that module would determine if it is TV-ready? Do these guys at Kufatec know? Perhaps I could use my VAG COM to go into that module and get coding/part number.

Have you worked direct with Kufatec? Is their english good? Perhaps I'll draft them up an email here shortly. Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Kufatec seem able to code modules up to the latest SW to support most of the new functionality. When you drive a new 2006 A8/S8 you see things that the 2004 models don't have and basically its all software, so mods can be done by them to add the functionality.

VAG will tell you what you have, if you tell me the part, SW etc , I can probably tell you what options it supports.

Kufatec are not the easiest company to deal with, I sent my FBAS to the on a 2 day delivery on Monday and they have not acknowledged receipt of delivery yet. Even after several emails.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What module is the FBAS or whatever in the VAG com, in order to get you the # you want? I have a full system scan from my car, I could post that but its over-sized large. LEt me know what 2-digit ID you need me to get into from the VAG COM ... and i'll get you that info.

So if I do have the right FBAS or one that would support TV, I only need that 599euro kit? And if not, its just another 199euro to upgrade? So even that total is only 800euro basically? Thats not too bad.. but then will that work in motion?

Gosh this seems complex.

(* EDIT *) --- where do all these boes get plugged in, by the way? Is there an obvious location since there is no real head unit??

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
The head unit is module "07 - Control Head" on the "Electronis 1" page, but it is obvious.

The TV tuner installs in the boot behind the radio on my model 2004, the FBAS control unit is behind the glovebox on a european model.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Address 07: Control Head
Controller: 4E0 910 729 J
Component: Interfacebox H43 0600
Coding: 0000103
Shop #: WSC 03200

Hmm I noticed you have a backup camera and radar screen for the parking assist. I've driven newer A8Ls and have noted the park assist diagram screen ... i've got 101 more questions i may eventually throw at you about that stuff too.

But for now .. see my info ahead for the control unit. Based on that info, you can tell if I would need to send that out for recode? Also is that the same unit that gets re-flashed to allow video-in-motion, or is that unit a different one? Hmm ... now I just need to figure out how to order/ship all this to/from Germany and the USA.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Ok, as you have a US car I can't tell, as my car is EU and the parts list I have is EU. J revision is not listed.

Kufatec may be able to help you, or even someone in the US with access to a parts list like ETKA or ETOS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.