Audi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to add à heated steering wheel to my q7. In the A8 forum I read that you can only do if you have heated seats factory installed. Luckily I do. Does anyone know what parts I will be needing for this retrofit? I found a used heated steering wheel. Can I simply swap it for the old one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Here are the ELSA diagrams:

As you can see in the second diagram, the heater is connected thru the coil on pins 14 and 13 to the steering column electronics control unit, and the heater on/off button thru the same coil on pins 8 and 9 (diagram 1).

The coding of the 16-Steering wheel has to be modified also.
The fourth and fifth position from left has to be:

22 - heated steering wheel WITHOUT Tiptronic buttons
23 - heated steering wheel WITH Tiptronic buttons

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I can choose between various steering wheels for the Q7.
4L0 419 091*A W88
4L0 419 091*J N60

Etc...
Any idea how I can find out what part I need, and will it be plug an play then?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Elsa does not give me any info on what kind of connector I should have behind the airbag unit, or where I could get the wires from if I don't have the connector prepared, anyone has any idea?

thanks for any help

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I retrofitted my heatable steeringwheel, but the coding is not accepted, says it is out of range. Do I have the wrong J527 Unit?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update,

For future reference and other people who might want to ad this feature.
To retrofit a heated steeringwheel in a Q7, you must have steeringwheel electronics number 4F0 953 549 C and the slip disk needs to be 4E0 953 541 B

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, finally done. It remains tricky to remove the airbag and steering wheel. Nice warm hands all trip long, worth the effort! Now I know how it is done, it looks easy.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Did you have to realign the steering wheel angle sensor after the ECU swap?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you have to realign the steering wheel angle sensor after the ECU swap?
Hi, yes I did have to re-allign, Neo was kind enough to send me the procedure.
after changing hte settings thru Vag-Com, I had to drive 100m. and the settings where ok.

pretty simple actually.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I think he actually wants the new D4 steering wheel, not the D3. I'm not sure the buttons would be recognised from the D4 steering wheel. I mean, why should they?

·
Registered
264 Posts
...I'm not sure the buttons would be recognised from the D4 steering wheel. I mean, why should they?
Yeah, that would be my biggest concern actually. So the question would be if someone has tried it...?

Why should it (not) work? I am drawing parallells to the C5/A6, where the MFSW-controller worked on both the RNS-D and the RNS-E, i.e. Audi did not make too many changes, thus the protocol was backwards/forwards compatible. It even worked on the OEM-bluetooth unit which even never was factory installed on the C5/A6.
Couldn't it be the same situation with the MMI3G and the MMI3G+ ?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Why should it (not) work? I am drawing parallells to the C5/A6, where the MFSW-controller worked on both the RNS-D and the RNS-E, i.e. Audi did not make too many changes, thus the protocol was backwards/forwards compatible. It even worked on the OEM-bluetooth unit which even never was factory installed on the C5/A6.
Couldn't it be the same situation with the MMI3G and the MMI3G+ ?
OK, I've checked the schematics, and concluded that it doesn't work. The Q7 MFSW-controller is not compatible with the new Steering wheel and vice-versa.

If one could fit the A7/A8/new A6 MFSW-controller (J453) to a Q7, it could actually work... :-k

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have a friend that tried to fit the new A8 steering wheel to an 2006 A8, he strugled for a month and he could not find a way to make the buttons work, none of them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would like to pick up this discussion - I am just in process of swapping my 2011 A8 for a 2014 one. Only item lacking is a heated steering wheel. On the 2011 car the heater button is part of the steering column control switch but I have seen some photos of supposed A8 wheels which have the heating button on the wheel itself - can anyone confirm whether this is a recent update/option. Much nicer place for it on the wheel

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, finally done. It remains tricky to remove the airbag and steering wheel. Nice warm hands all trip long, worth the effort! Now I know how it is done, it looks easy.
Knowing this is an old thread, but I want to do the same.... Bar the wheel, airbag, slip ring and controller, did you need to change anything else, like run any extra wires or change a fuse?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts