Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,767 Posts
That's now the second RNS-E with a custom boot screen, the other one is found in the S3. It would be interesting to see if the current parts catalog shows different part numbers for a S4 and A4 RNS-E. And since this is a Euro unit there might be some hidden features in an upcoming post 0500 Euro software release. Although some say that the boot screen is not part of loading.kwi which would then indicate that there is a different part number for the S model RNS-E.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I have an '07 RS4 and it does not have a custom welcome screen. It is a "J" unit. It does have an RS4 logo on the DIS during ignition.

I would imagine if the S4 has custom screen the RS4 would, but who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,767 Posts
caykroyd said:
Not sure if this helps, but I have an '07 RS4 and it does not have a custom welcome screen. It is a "J" unit. It does have an RS4 logo on the DIS during ignition.

I would imagine if the S4 has custom screen the RS4 would, but who knows.
But you have that stripped down US model and so far only Europe got the cool stuff, at least first. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Mine has start up screen like this

I have 07 A3 and mine starts up with a screen similar to this... Audi looking MMI splash screen for a few seconds
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
caykroyd said:
Not sure if this helps, but I have an '07 RS4 and it does not have a custom welcome screen. It is a "J" unit. It does have an RS4 logo on the DIS during ignition.

I would imagine if the S4 has custom screen the RS4 would, but who knows.
But you have that stripped down US model and so far only Europe got the cool stuff, at least first. :)
None of the EU '07 RS4's that I have seen have a custom start-up screen, even those that came with the RNS-E factory fitted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Re: Mine has start up screen like this

jaybird722 said:
I have 07 A3 and mine starts up with a screen similar to this... Audi looking MMI splash screen for a few seconds
If your splash screen isn't model specific then it's just the generic one everybody else has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
I tested same x?xxxxx code on my rev.'H' w. Sw rev. 0500.

It do not get rs4 starting logo . :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I just vistited the S-Power tour at my local Audi dealer here in Sweden. There you could testdrive the S3,S4,S8,S8 and RS4. All of cars hade RNS-E installed but only the S3 and S4 had their own "Welcome dislpay" as the picutre above indicates.

By the way, the test drive resulted in a purchase. I ordered the new S3, can't until delivery in Januari!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
FreddieS3 said:
By the way, the test drive resulted in a purchase. I ordered the new S3, can't until delivery in Januari!
Very good choice to buy the S3!

If my car was older then it is right now, I'd buy an S3 myself!

Have fun with it...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
FreddieS3 said:
There you could test drive the S3,S4,S8,S8 and RS4. All of cars had RNS-E installed but only the S3 and S4 had their own "Welcome display" as the picture above indicates.
Since several of us have, without success, tried entering different vehicle codes into EU RNS-E's running SW0500 to get different startup screens (with the exception of the Lamborghini startup screen), this suggests:

1) there are special versions of the RNS-E with different part number suffixes for the 8P S3 and B7 S4. Anyone have access to the latest version of ETKA to be able to check/confirm this? (Is there a B7 RS4 version?)

2) the startup screen may be stored in a section of the flash memory that is not normally updated when a SW update is done. Is there a special update CD that dealers can use?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
NSX JR said:
There could also be a new adaptation channel somewhere that changes the startup screen...
Possible ... but AudiA4B6US (Dirk) has spent a lot of time checking what the adaptation channels do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,767 Posts
I only saw that there are two new coding options for the model, 6 and 7, none of them changes the boot screen. I haven't checked all the adaptation channels for possible values but there was no obvious change after installing 0150. The only value that changed was channel 111 which is usually 0, saving a 1 does a cold reboot. After installing 0150 the channel defaults to 250 with 1 still doing the cold reboot. There is also channel 16 which is protected starting with EU0500 and US0110. That could be the channel to check out if you got the Security Access code to modify it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
PetrolDave said:
1) there are special versions of the RNS-E with different part number suffixes for the 8P S3 and B7 S4. Anyone have access to the latest version of ETKA to be able to check/confirm this? (Is there a B7 RS4 version?)
Etka 7 does not report any special part number for S3/S4.

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,817 Posts
I will have few units like that coming after Christmas so I will compare VAg coding but from what I heard, this logo could be changed only with SAC (Security Access Code).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,767 Posts
PROXUS said:
I will have few units like that coming after Christmas so I will compare VAg coding but from what I heard, this logo could be changed only with SAC (Security Access Code).
Changing channel 16? AFAIK that's the only channel that requires a special security access code.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,817 Posts
I will need to "interrigate" my supplier because last time he mentioned that one guy in Italy is changing those screens for small fee. If I heard correctly he is using VAG, so I assume that he knows SACs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,767 Posts
Would be interesting to know if this works on older units as well, or just new ones. Because it would confirm that the boot screen is actually in the software and not in the boot firmware that doesn't get changed during an update. Figuring out the SAC is only time consuming but not impossible (I did that twice already trying to get VIM working), if someone knows what he is looking for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Here's the pic for the lazy:



Would be a nice little 'mod' for those that have retrofitted an RNS-E in their S4..
 
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Top