Audi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to be played through the audio system. I recently bought the 2005.5 S4 with Nav+ and premium Bose sound system but have yet to find a way to hook up my ipod. I am not sure whether the Icelink or NeoIOn will work with the Nav+.
Thanks for any info on this...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That's also what the people from NeoIOn said but

even they said that it should work (in theory) and I don't want to spend 200.- only to find out that it doesn't work. That's why I wondered whether anybody actually did this already. The IceLink does not appear to work with MMI (according to the Denison web page).

·
Registered
996 Posts
keep in mind...Dension's IceLink for the iPod had lots of issues when folks started using them with the Nav+ (CD based).

It wasn't until a year or so later that Dension has worked the bugs out for a Nav+ environment.

Just because an aftermarket product can mask an OEM communications protocol, doesn't always mean that the OEM headunit will accept it...in every scenario.

I'm not an Icelink/iPod expert...I'm only repeating what I've heard from others.

FYI - if you look at the setup menu for the Audi phatbox...you will see the RNS-E listed (Type T):
http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/3301-HUSETUP_web.pdf

They are selling these online for $150 (see the phatnoise.com forum for more details).

-ted

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I don't know if this helps and why Dension doesn't show this on their site but www.Navisys.de has two different IceLink Plus adapters, one for the RNS-E and one for all the other Audi OEM HUs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks ted! I will check that out as an alternative. I still

would prefer to integrate the ipod. This way, I don't have to re-format my AAC files to mp3 and would just have one unit for car, office, home. It's just much easier...

·
Registered
996 Posts
good to know. I wonder how hard these will be to order from germany?

Here is the translation via freetranslation.com:

IceLink PLUS-Set for audi-navigation RNS-E (manufacturer Aisin, builds in in A3 and A4, 16:9 screen) with the iceLink PLUS you can drive your iPod as well as a CD-Wechsler over the keys of your standard radio or navigation system. As far as your vehicle a Lenkradferbedienung possesses, you can serve the iPod also about that comfortable. -Reproduction list 1-5 will be assigned just played becomes the CDS on the radio -that increase in prices for CD6 activated the
ice-left menu on the iPod -the iPod an external Dsiplay that information to the song notice that. -The iPod starts deactivate / stops as soon as you the CD-Wechslermodus at the radio activate / -repeating, chance, next song and Scan as well as in a Wechsler reference: on the display of the radio, no ID3-Tags become or filed-names represented. A notice CD1. results. CD5 Track 1. Track xx as well as in a CD-Wechsler.

Important! No CD-Wechsler paralell can be
operated! Quality product manufactured in Europe e, C SHARPS and FCC certifies on all devices, corresponding to the EU-guidelines: 1 year guarantee and 2 years guarantee!

https://ssl.kundenserver.de/s25259050.einsundeinsshop.de/sess/utn;jsessionid=15425d77cce69cb/shopdata/0060_Fahrzeugspezfische+Pakete/0010_Audi-Special/product_details.shopscript?article=0005_Ice-Link+Plus+Set++Audi+RNS-E+=28166=29

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good find! The IceLink+ might actually work...

Although their web-page claims that their product will not work with MMI: "20_Audi ice>Link Plus for Audis (1998-2005, except MMI cars)". I'll try to contact them to find out more.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, the RNS-E is not MMI. MMI is only available in the A6 C6 and A8. The RNS-E in the A3, A4 and Allroad has "MMI-like" controls but it's not the Audi MMI system. And in Europe, the A6 C6 is a 2005 model.

·
Registered
996 Posts
FYI - Dension will have a product for MOST/fibre later in 2005.

This will directly impact the C6 A6 and D3 A8 community.

http://www.densionusa.com/icelink_fibre_info.htm

From what I understand, the CEO of Dension drives either an A8 or C6 A6...and he demanded that they have a product for those models. Very comical.

-ted

·
Registered
36 Posts
I must say the folks on this forum are the best. Very professional and patient with everyone, I wish other forums were the same.

S4XXX, can you let us know for sure if the icelink worked, and what it displays on the screen? I'm looking to do the same, but haven't pulled the trigger on the icelink yet because I can't make up my mind whether to get it with just the docking cable or with the docking cradle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will post my results here on the forum as soon as I have

installed the icelink. You are right Be6ess4, very cool people here!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey S4XXX, thanks for the thread. I have a new 2005.5 S4 also. Just a couple of questions:

1) Do you have Sirius or XM? If so, does Icelink disable?
2) Which type of harness did you get, radio end or CD changer?
3) Any issues, problems, comments?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried to install the IceLinkplus, but unfortunately it is not compatible (yet) with our Navplus (RNS-E). Dension updated their webpage today and they now admit that it won't work. As far as I know, the only harness that will work can be bought in Germany (see above). I'm working with someone from NeoIOn (mp3yourcar.com) who will try to update their product to work with Navplus asap.

·
Registered
515 Posts
is there a simply way to hook up an AUX input??.. i am interested in just running a set of RCAs or headphone-style input jack from the back of the RNS-E to consul area.. or is a black box that makes the RNS-E think there is a CD-Changer necessary??..

i have a portable DVD player and an iPod that i want to be able to play thru the RNS-E with a headphone jumper cable..

i currently use a cheesy cassette tape adapter (with the Symphony II) and it works fine for me..

i know i could get an ice link or just use the SD-cards.. also i will probably eventually install a DVD player (with 1417 &/or 1280), but for now a simple AUX-IN would be great..

thanks ..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think so, not on the RNS-E. All these adapters (Icelink, NeoIOn, blitzsafe...) will give you an aux input on the older audio systems but the RNS-E is relatively new here in the US and these companies have not yet updated their products. In Europe, these adapters are easy to find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, an adapter that enables Aux in to the RNS-E is available, but only in Europe? Is there anybody in Europe who can/will sell/ship it to us Americans?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably. Just google "ipod RNS-E" and you have many companies to chose from. They all sell the Dension Icelink for RNS-E. I don't know whether installation of this unit will disable satellite radio and CD-changer or just the CD-changer. I'm guessing that this will be available in the US within weeks anyway. I would wait a little bit until Dension and the others have updated their products.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts