Audi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a new Audi A3 owner. Has anyone experienced any problems with their handbrake on a 54 plate? I put my handbrake on today and an hour later was told it had rolled into the car infront. No damage luckily and I checked my car which still had the handbrake on full. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I heard about it before from few people. This is not only A3 issue.
This is due to the discs cooling and then contracting. If you didn't go to the last click , your brake probably couldn't hold it and car rolled.

In the Audi handbook they're covered as the say to leave the car in gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:confused:I have a Audi A3 on a 2010 plate which till a few weeks ago we thought was great.
Then it rolled down our drive about 45 mins after parking with the handbrake on and in first gear, our thoughts where driver error !
Missed everything in its way, lucky.
Then 3/4 weeks later it rolled down our drive again about 45 mins after parking with the handbrake on and in first gear double checked after first time, this time it hit our wall dimolishing it and doing thousands of £'s worth of damage to the car.
When I got out of bed to find out what made the sound, I found the car had rolled down our drive. If the handbrake had not been applied in the first instance it would have rolled down my drive immediatley with the steepness of my drive.
When I parked I applied the handbrake with the footbrake fully pressed, and engine running as I know this helps using the servo brakes.
I always drive up the drive, and leave the car in first gear because my drive has a steep incline.
What advice can anyone give me to do now.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
:confused:I have a Audi A3 on a 2010 plate which till a few weeks ago we thought was great.
Then it rolled down our drive about 45 mins after parking with the handbrake on and in first gear, our thoughts where driver error !
Then 3/4 weeks later it rolled down our drive again about 45 mins after parking with the handbrake on and in first gear double checked after first time, this time it hit our wall dimolishing it and doing thousands of £'s worth of damage to the car.
When I got out of bed to find out what made the sound, I found the car had rolled down our drive. If the handbrake had not been applied in the first instance it would have rolled down my drive immediatley with the steepness of my drive.
When I parked I applied the handbrake with the footbrake fully pressed, and engine running as I know this helps using the servo brakes.
I always drive up the drive, and leave the car in first gear because my drive has a steep incline.
This is a not uncommon problem with cars that have rear disc brakes and the handbrake operating on the rear disc.

After use the rear discs heat up and expand so when you apply the handbrake after a long (or sprited) drive they grip onto the hot and expanded discs. As the disc cool down they shrink and the handbrake no longer holds the pads against the disc, with the result that the handbrake no longer grips firmly enough on the disc to hold the car - especially on a steeply sloping drive such as you describe. Operating the footbrake when putting the handbrake on will just pre-position the rear pads, and may actually lead to you not putting the handbrake on hard enough, so I'd advise against doing that.

This isn't a design fault, it's just thermal expansion/contraction of the metal disc.

You say you left the car in first gear, so that means the car would have moved against the compression of the engine - or slipped the clutch (is your clutch in good condition?) - which suggest your drive is VERY steep, and not really a suitable place to park a car on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't give any advice, but just so you know you are not alone! This happened to me today when I was out superkmarket shopping. Security guard came up to me and asked, handing me a bit of paper, 'is this your number plate?'. Unfortunately it was. The car was parked on a slight incline, handbrake had come off, and it rolled to the left of the shop entrance. Luckily no one hurt.
And an embarrassing call from one fellow shopper 'huh didn't put your handbrake on' (well yes I did actually, otherwise I would have noticed it roll when I got out, idiot!).

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a not uncommon problem with cars that have rear disc brakes and the handbrake operating on the rear disc.

After use the rear discs heat up and expand so when you apply the handbrake after a long (or sprited) drive they grip onto the hot and expanded discs. As the disc cool down they shrink and the handbrake no longer holds the pads against the disc, with the result that the handbrake no longer grips firmly enough on the disc to hold the car - especially on a steeply sloping drive such as you describe. Operating the footbrake when putting the handbrake on will just pre-position the rear pads, and may actually lead to you not putting the handbrake on hard enough, so I'd advise against doing that.

This isn't a design fault, it's just thermal expansion/contraction of the metal disc.

You say you left the car in first gear, so that means the car would have moved against the compression of the engine - or slipped the clutch (is your clutch in good condition?) - which suggest your drive is VERY steep, and not really a suitable place to park a car on.
I do appreciate your coments on the discs heating up after a spirited drive but my wife is the main driver And she is a sensible driver and only drives 30 miles home from work on motorway each day.
The Audi garage checked the hand brake, no problems, yes our drive is steep but its the first car of many that have rolled away after 20 years of living here, none of which were auto-matic.
We have been told by the Audi garage to repress the foot brake with the engine running so we can pull the handbrake up more, which it dose allow the handbrake to move 2 - 3 places.
So who knowes what is for the best we just dont want anyone to get hurt !

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I do appreciate your coments on the discs heating up after a spirited drive but my wife is the main driver And she is a sensible driver and only drives 30 miles home from work on motorway each day.
The Audi garage checked the hand brake, no problems, yes our drive is steep but its the first car of many that have rolled away after 20 years of living here, none of which were auto-matic.
We have been told by the Audi garage to repress the foot brake with the engine running so we can pull the handbrake up more, which it dose allow the handbrake to move 2 - 3 places.
So who knowes what is for the best we just dont want anyone to get hurt !
Have the other cars had handbrakes that operate on separate rear drums though? That used to be how cars with rear discs were designed, but as a cost saving measure the additional drums are no longer fitted.

It really is just a simple case of the discs expand when used, so as they contract when they cool down the handbrake isn't gripping on the rear discs with as much force.

I always leave my car in gear when on any slope, or if it's going to be left for a few days, so I don't rely on the handbrake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts