Audi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my RNS-E over the weekend (including the double din conversion - what a massive job that was!!).

I currently have the GPS antenna magnetically mounted on the OEM glovebox mounted CD changer - does anyone think that this should be a problem? Is the CD laser likely to interfere with the operation of the antenna?

FYI I'm currently only picking up 3 GPS satellites when driving through the city. Haven't tested it anywhere else yet (only got the car VAGCOMed this morning) but I would have thought I'd pick up a few more than that..

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Alister said:
I currently have the GPS antenna magnetically mounted on the OEM glovebox mounted CD changer - does anyone think that this should be a problem? Is the CD laser likely to interfere with the operation of the antenna?

FYI I'm currently only picking up 3 GPS satellites when driving through the city. Haven't tested it anywhere else yet (only got the car VAGCOMed this morning) but I would have thought I'd pick up a few more than that..
I used to have my GPS antenna in that position and had the same problem as you - normally only 3 to 5 satellites. That location is just too low down in the vehicle and the antenna is too shielded by the metal bodywork.

I've moved mine to directly on the underside of the dash (using double sided tape), near the passenger airbag, and now get 6 to 8 satellites.

BTW the magnetic base of the GPS antenna shouldn't have any effect on the laser in the CD - or vice versa.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

I posted my question 5 minutes after getting the RNS-E operational - I now see on average about 5-6 satellites (often more, sometimes less) so at this point I don't think I'll bother relocating the GPS antenna.

Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts