Audi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install the RNS-E tonight. I have a 2006 A3 8p with SYM II.
I tried to search this forum does not give me specific information on where to mount the GPS antenna. Does anyone has a perfect place for the GPS antenna which require less amount of work?? Greatly appreciate.!

·
Registered
65 Posts
For me, with a B5 S4 there was not enough space behind the cluster so I placed it above the fuse box. In the B5 S4 the fuse box is on the left side of the dash. There's a nice spot on top of a support member above the fuse box which is easily accessible by openning the fuse box door.

I think others have put it above the glove box (in other models besides the B5 S4).

Bottom line is many have had success placing it under the dash as close to the top of the dash as possible. What you need to do is try a placement and then with the RNS-E hooked up (and on) press the "INFO" button and scroll to the top. You will see a report of the number of satellites in view. You need 3 or more. I ususually have mine flucuate between 4 and 7 with 5 as the most common value.

Steve

·
Registered
84 Posts
scgtam said:
I am going to install the RNS-E tonight. I have a 2006 A3 8p with SYM II.
I tried to search this forum does not give me specific information on where to mount the GPS antenna. Does anyone has a perfect place for the GPS antenna which require less amount of work?? Greatly appreciate.!
My girlfriend with her small hands was able to find a location between the air ducts above the radio and put the antenna there. It's kindof locked into place by gravity, and doesn't involve removing the cluster. I've had it in that location for about 2-3 weeks now, and reception has been really good. I'm getting 6-7 satellites for the most part.

This is also in an '06 8P. Just find somebody with small hands to do it :)

I tucked away the rest of the cable behind and below the radio, seems to fit there fine.

Fiddly, but less scary than taking out the instrument cluster (bad past experience... :) ).

·
Registered
249 Posts
this is where i used to have mine...

worked fine... i just have to much stuff there now so to make room i relocated it to the right and above of the glove box...

·
Registered
84 Posts
ejc2008 said:
actually easiest place is the metal right above the glove box lol - pass it right in and stick it up there - takes 5 min
I had it in that location first, but the reception wasn't very good. I'm assuming the airbag somehow influences it. Getting much better reception in the duct area above the radio.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Put it in between the heater ducts above the RNS-E, you will find a small hole that leads up to the underneath of the dash in the A3 when you remove the symphony.

It fits in there with double sided tape or velcro to the underneath of the dash. The cable then runs to the back of the RNS-E

·
Registered
18 Posts
I disagree

I tried all those places and got the same 5-6 sats.
I connected to the roof sharkfin and now get a steady 7-8 sats.
The unit updates faster and seems more responsive now.
At least thats my experience.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had my antenna in my A3 above the RNS-E between the heater ducts but had some reception problems from time to time (=sometimes only 2 satellites). It was moved behind the instrument cluster (5 mins of easy work) and I now always get 5-8 satellites.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts