Audi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys,

Of course I mounted the GPS on the location you recommend on a a4 b6, behind the instrument cluster, on the metal. But After my upgrade to the 2007 dvd the satelite receipt varies between 2 and 7 satelites.... So it got lost all the time... Any ideas?

Thanks,

Martijn

·
Registered
258 Posts
you are probably in an area where sat coverage is weak.... get urself a sharkfin, or put the antenna somewhere outside the car (maybe right on the trunk bed...) temporarily and see if reception goes up...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I have moved the gps receiver a bit toward the window (behind the instrument cluster), and now I have 7 or 8. But sometimes also 2 or 3, I live in Rotterdam a big city. But the buildings around are only 3 to 4 floor high and a lot of open space.

Does The rns-e have to "learn" again after a new version of the dvd has been installed? Because when I make a turn the rns goes left or right too early occaisonnally. so I go right through the grass. Do you have also had this problem?

Thanks,

Martijn

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, I had no factory installed radio, so I got can H and L from behind instrument cluster, and it works, because otherwise the gps only starts working after 15 minutes (I had that the first month, without the can signal).

Any had this problem too? (Maybe it has to learn more, but at 50meters zoom the cars bumps sometimes over the road. It does not drive fluently...) at 30 km an hour.

·
Registered
258 Posts
gotcha... well im pretty sure u arent getting enough satellites. keep in mind that it requires 3 satellites to triangulate your location. if it has only 2, then it relies only on the speed sensor which will never be as accurate. your goal is to get over 3 satellites... do you have a sharkfin antenna on your roof? if so, then it is quite easy to hook up to it...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I have not, but I saw on the other posts that Maybe i have to transfer it above the glovebox net to the airbag ignition..., because with 4 or 5 it does not work perfect either...

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Is your RNS-E correctly coded for your car? Sounds like it may not be getting a speed signal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Yes the speed works, it is not that "bumpy" as when I did not have the can signal connected. Maybe I just have to drive a few hundred km's and then it works better...

But what I do not get is this: If I have 6 sats then I should know my exact position, but sometimes the position is wrong and then it corrects the position again when I start driving the car. (for ex. it is 50 meters wrong when I am at a traffic light). Is it true that the nav needs to setup for a couple of minutes?

·
Registered
258 Posts
its always like that... for me, when i first turn on the car, it places me a few meters off the road, but then after around a minute of driving, it puts me back on the road and corrects itself.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Remember that the consumer/commercial GPS systems like we have are only accurate to within a few tens of metres. The ones we hear about that are accurate to within inches (cm) are either military or so-called differential GPS systems - which cost thousands of pounds/dollars/euros.

So starting off in the field parallel to the road you ARE on is normal behaviour and after a short period of this the system realises that you are probably on the road and moves the arrow onto the road. The speed signal is important in helping this "dead reckoning" system to be more accurate.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

But now this.

Where I live When I drove the day before yesterday 5-7 sats, But Yesterday only 3-4 how is this possible? it is a new gps receiver...

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
bieshose said:
Where I live When I drove the day before yesterday 5-7 sats, But Yesterday only 3-4 how is this possible? it is a new gps receiver...
There are nearly 30 satellites in a low Earth orbit which means the number AND location of the satellites that can be seen changes all the time.

If yesterday happened to be a day where the only satellites visible from your location were at a very low elevation (i.e. close to the ground) then some of them would have been screened by e.g. your car, houses, other cars, trucks, etc - so you would only have been able to decode the sigbnal from 3-4 instead of the usual of 5-7.

GPS is a complex satellite based low power radio system, and this is just normal behaviour.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Appologies for the newb question - but where in the menu system do you find out how many satelites are currently being recieved?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
RichA said:
Appologies for the newb question - but where in the menu system do you find out how many satelites are currently being recieved?

Thanks,
Press NAV, then press the lower right soft key (NAV Info) and scroll down - you'll see position information and the number of satellites being received.

For full information on GPS status - go into Engineering Mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had done this to no avail. But I also needed to scroll up. :)

All sorted. 6 Sats received outside my house.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi DAve, I have done all the steps but my unit won't go into Engineering Mode, any ideas?

nav button, left upper 7 secs, right under 7 secs..

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
bieshose said:
Hi DAve, I have done all the steps but my unit won't go into Engineering Mode, any ideas?

nav button, left upper 7 secs, right under 7 secs..
Hold the buttons for 10 seconds (count one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, ...).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts