Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, I do apologise. I should've made it more clear which aerial I have. I am going to install the RNS-E with the magnetic GPS aerial from kufatec, I was wondering where you could mount it at the front of the car, Is it best behind the glovebox or behind the insrument cluster? or is there a better location in the dashboard area?

Many thanks in anticipation of youer advice

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: Either way

s4for5 said:
Both suck
Have to disagree with you there.

I have the antenna on the bottom surface of the dashboard above the glovebox adjacent to the airbag igniter. Solid 7-8 sats all the time.

Further down, on the glovebox itself, best was 5 sats and usually 3-4 - which won't always get a 3D fix.

Since I have a UK spec Avant the sharkfin/submarine isn't fitted unless you specify either sat nav or phone at the time of order (I know it's different in the US), but since I'm getting a solid 7-8 sats there's no need for me to go drilling holes in the roof!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

PetrolDave said:
Have to disagree with you there.

I have the antenna on the bottom surface of the dashboard above the glovebox adjacent to the airbag igniter. Solid 7-8 sats all the time.
Cheers dave thats great advice, many thanks. I have a UK spec car with no sharkfin, there is no way I want to be drilling holes in the roof!

I obviously need to remove the glovebox, is this difficult on a B7?

How is best to attach the aerial to the underside of the dash?

Sorry for all the Q's but I only want to disassemble the car once!

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts

Issac Hunt said:
Cheers dave thats great advice, many thanks. I have a UK spec car with no sharkfin, there is no way I want to be drilling holes in the roof!

I obviously need to remove the glovebox, is this difficult on a B7?

How is best to attach the aerial to the underside of the dash?

Sorry for all the Q's but I only want to disassemble the car once!
On a UK spec B7 there's only 5 bolts you have to remove to take out the glovebox (3 along the top and 1 at each bottom corner), the glovebox then drops down into the footwell.

I've attached the GPS antenna using strong double sided tape, when I used some cheap stuff it came off within a couple of weeks but it's been there for 8 months now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Issac Hunt said:
what is the best place to site the GPS aerial whilst retro fitting RNS-E to a B7 A4 saloon?

Many thanks........
I have mine wedged in between the dash padding and the metal structure behind the instrument cluster. I average 6 Sats. As hig as 8 is not unusual. It's wedged quite tight and I'd venture to say it's going no where.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
LI-S4 said:
Issac Hunt said:
what is the best place to site the GPS aerial whilst retro fitting RNS-E to a B7 A4 saloon?

Many thanks........
I have mine wedged in between the dash padding and the metal structure behind the instrument cluster. I average 6 Sats. As hig as 8 is not unusual. It's wedged quite tight and I'd venture to say it's going no where.
I managed to wedge it there on my B6 S4, but the space was too tight on my B7 RS4.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

PetrolDave said:
On a UK spec B7 there's only 5 bolts you have to remove to take out the glovebox (3 along the top and 1 at each bottom corner), the glovebox then drops down into the footwell.

I've attached the GPS antenna using strong double sided tape, when I used some cheap stuff it came off within a couple of weeks but it's been there for 8 months now.
Cheers Dave, thanks for the reply. That seems like a good solution, I will give it a go.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
For me, towards the front of the car of the cross member.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts