Audi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 1280 adapter for video in motion on the RNSe upfront. Now, the wires are as follows:

1 - CAN High
2 - CAN Low
3 - Ground
4 - Switch
5 - CAN High output
6 - CAN Low output
7 - Power
8 - Remote

Now, what do I connect where! The instructions are not very good English! Ground and Power are easy, thats fine (is it a perm live I need?), Remote I dont need, correct?

The main questions are:

1 - Do i need Perm Live (like the one on my 1417?)?
2 - Remote is not used
3 - In order to use NAV I need to disable the 1280. What kind of switch do I connect to the switch wire? Surely the switch wire goes into the switch then another wire on the other side of the switch to complete the cirsuit?
4 - Presumably for the CAN, the side that comes from the car I connect to input, then the stereo side to output and cut the original wire in the middle, so the CAN runs COMPLETLEY through the 1280?

Am I right here!! Please help me!!

Charles

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Correct for the CAN, just break the can wires between the HU and the car.

+12V goes to perm live just like your (my) 1417

You need a latching switch for the switch going to +12V

Craig

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Craig

So remote is not used?

And latching switch, do I just wire that into the +12V perm or do I use the switch cable to do that?

Charles

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just thought of something else too....... If i am splitting the CAN wires, which side of the 1280 do my can wires need to go to my 1417, or does that not matter?

Charles

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
one side of the switch goes to +12v, the other side to the 1280.

as for the 1280 it connects between car and the 1417, keep the 1417 can bus attached to the hu.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right cheers guys.

So, on the switch thing I am NOT using the Switch wire, just the 12V+ wire, so I do not use either Remote OR Switch wire, correct?

Cheers

Charles

·
Registered
515 Posts
no, you need to supply +12v (on a switch) to the "switch" wire -- this is what activates the 1280..

you will not use the "remote" wire..

you can use the same +12v source for "power" and "switch", but must put a physical switch on the "switch" wire..

hope this clarifies..

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
But not drawn by a 2 year old.... :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers guys!

Thanks Craig - I might have a career change and become a artist!!!! Maybe not on second thoughts!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts