Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After many weeks of frustration with the Dension Icelink not working correctly with my RNS-D, I decided to get rid of the unit all together. I now have a lovely Kenwood Media Controller in the glove compartment. Many inputs available: RCA/Phono, USB, 3.5mm jack, Kenwood CD port- allows the connection of an iPOD too. Every thing is controlled via an IR remote- which works great.

Best of all it displays the song info on the screen!

For me personally in my setup, a far better option than the Icelink unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have also got alot of problems with the dension Icelink, at the end i've removed the Icelink all together.
What kind of radio do you have, cause i'd like to install the Kenwood KOS-A200 to.

I've got the NaviPlus.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the NaviPlus RNS-D sat nav too. Has been working great for me.

Installation is relatively straight forward; three wires - constant, switched and earth- just tap the wires in. I've tapped mine into the 'RNS adapter' so as not to touch the original wiring.

I have an Audi A6 and the actual unit is in the glovebox with the IR receiver just under the climate controller unit- I dont have the ashtray installed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
could you go into more detail as to how it works - with maybe a picture of the info that you get on the screen?

I'm assuming that you end up with

NavPlus in "tv" mode... so you lose track control thru the head unit
Remote changes tracks/menus and handles input selection.

1) did sound quality deteriorate at all?
2) can the ipod be used from the glove box?
3) did you need a separate adapter to interface the kenwood item with the "tv" input?
4) could you post a picture of the info it gives you - and does it show cover art?
5) does the A200 input its sound thru RCA also - it seems on kenwood's site that it uses FM modulation.

Thanks!!!

~ Lou

·
Registered
13 Posts
p.s. for those still trying to get icelink to work - i have a custom firmware update that works great with our nav plus cd based units. It is small too - i can email it to people.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) did sound quality deteriorate at all?
Not that I can notice in my particular setup

2) can the ipod be used from the glove box?
Yes, the Ipod can be hidden and controlled via the IR remote of the Kenwood unit .You would need the Kenwood Ipod adapter cable which connects to the media box. N.B. I don't use an Ipod myself but am going on what the manual says.

3) did you need a separate adapter to interface the kenwood item with the "tv" input?
I don't have the TV Tuner in my setup- just a retrofit RNS-D device

4) could you post a picture of the info it gives you - and does it show cover art?
I don't have a picture handy, but it's not as 'high-tech' as you may be thinking- the only thing that displays on the unit is the track name (whilst the track is playing) and you can flick through all the folders by name. No cover art.

5) does the A200 input its sound thru RCA also - it seems on kenwood's site that it uses FM modulation.
The unit allows the input of a RCA/Phone source, it is not the medium it uses to communicate sound to the nav unit. It does use FM modulation- but it's not 'over-the-air' - like many devices. The Kenwood media unit comes with a 'pass-thru' antenna/aerial' cable that connects to the nav unit. You still have to have a preset FM station on the nav unit and select the same one on the Kenwood unit for sound. The IR reciever has an 'on/off' switch to 'cut off' the broadcasting FM signal when you are using the Kenwood unit; to listen to FM radio- you just have to flick the switch back.

Ideally you would want the functionality of the Icelink- i.e being able to use the headunit controls and the ability to display music info too- this of course is impossible as the Audi units do not support CD Text. The music info for the Kenwood unit is provided via the RDS signal.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
sh500 said:
The IR reciever has an 'on/off' switch to 'cut off' the broadcasting FM signal when you are using the Kenwood unit; to listen to FM radio- you just have to flick the switch back.
So you lose the TP announcements while you're listening to the iPod - since the broadcast FM signal is cut off.

I wouldn't be willing to lose traffic announcements, is there any way around this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PetrolDave said:
sh500 said:
The IR reciever has an 'on/off' switch to 'cut off' the broadcasting FM signal when you are using the Kenwood unit; to listen to FM radio- you just have to flick the switch back.
So you lose the TP announcements while you're listening to the iPod - since the broadcast FM signal is cut off.

I wouldn't be willing to lose traffic announcements, is there any way around this?
Again, I don't make use of the TP feature - but I guess they would not work together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was about to say "woah you guys are getting TP announcements in America now?" but i looked at your location and can see that you're not in the US.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
bruck said:
I was about to say "woah you guys are getting TP announcements in America now?" but i looked at your location and can see that you're not in the US.
You get SAT radio in the US, but we have to "make do" with TP in EU!

I'm greedy, I want both!!! (but I would accept a properly integrated DAB radio - which you can't have with the RNS-E, only with MMI - in place of the SAT radio)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.