Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this asked a few times, but don't recall seeing the answer.

Here's the CD changer pinouts for the Glovebox CD changers:

PIN - GAUGE - COLOR - DESCRIPTION

1 - 0.5 - purple - DATA IN (to radio)
2 - 0.5 - white - DATA CLK
3 - 0.5 - black - Kl.31 (GND)
4 - 0.5 - blue - DATA OUT (from radio)
5 - N.C.
6 - 0.5 - red/blue - Kl. 30 (B+)
7 - 0.35 - yellow - CD NF R
8 - 0.35 - purple/red - ACC POWER
9 - 0.35 - green - CD NF GND
10 - 0.35 - grey - CD NF L
11 - N.C.
12 - N.C.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Nice! Do you happen to know if there is a fitting plug with pins so that someone could build a harness to convert the connector to mini-ISO (e.g. for an IceLink or so)?

·
Registered
156 Posts
my lead doesnt have pin 9 connected but would appear to have KL31 GND and CD NF GND connected together!!

With your wiring diagram does the CD changer its self need to be grounded?

Think i may build my own harness from scratch!

Thanks

Jake

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
Nice! Do you happen to know if there is a fitting plug with pins so that someone could build a harness to convert the connector to mini-ISO (e.g. for an IceLink or so)?
Still researching... it will be on my big "pins" list when I know for sure.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jakerade said:
my lead doesnt have pin 9 connected but would appear to have KL31 GND and CD NF GND connected together!!

With your wiring diagram does the CD changer its self need to be grounded?

Think i may build my own harness from scratch!

Thanks

Jake
Pin 3 is the CD chassis ground
Pin 9 is the CD audio ground

These are two separate, mutually exclusive connections. These should not be connected together. Pin 9 should be connected to the RNS-E, and Pin 3 has to be grounded to the chassis of the car. There is no CD chassis ground pin on the RNS-E.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
Pins and housings part numbers are on the master list now. See the static chart on this forum (http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1785) or see the clickable chart on www.nsxjr.com.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Very nice. I didn't expect Audi to have both male and female connectors. Now someone needs to start selling CDC to iPod cables for all those A3 guys who are waiting for an Audi solution. :lol:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
since the pins are the same for the glovebox CDC as the Symphony connector I... this makes the task that much easier since the ipod adapter pins (000 979 131) will fit directly into the mating plug.

Therefore, it seems like the parts needed would be a male-to-male extension cable (so simple to assemble with 2 male housings and 9 male repair wires)... and then a female housing to snap the ipod pins into.

Projected cost: less than $30.

Why can the A3 users not use the existing ipod adapter... by replacing the CDC pins in their Connector I?? I admit this glovebox solution may be easier, but certainly isn't the only solution.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The US A3 is pre-wired for SAT and CDC, Connector I is therefore fully populated with one end going to the glovebox and the other end going to the trunk. There is a jumper in the trunk if no SAT receiver is installed and the CDC connector ends behind the glovebox if no changer is installed. That's how I understood the various postings on AudiWorld.

The IceLink comes with a male/female Connector I and the Audi iPod adapter has ten female Connector I pins, ready to get inserted into Connector I coming from the car. Neither of both adapters allow a true plug and play install which confuses everybody. And Audi's answer "not possible" doesn't help either.

If I understand your message right, then the CDC has a male connector and the 12pin connector on the car side is female. So all needed is a male 12 pin CDC connector and 10 male pins to replace the female pins on the Audi iPod adapter. The same is propably true for the IceLink.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, you've got it right if you want to replace the female pins... which would be cheaper... but the male-to-male extension cable with extra female housing would create more of a "plug and play" scenario.

Also, I don't know for sure that the vehicle end has female pins... I'm just going by nearly every other harness in the car... usually the vehicle end is female, and the device end is male.

I continue to be amazed at Audi for saying things like this are not possible... why not just make an adapter harness for this situation???

·
Registered
156 Posts
the cd changer has a wire in pin 11 (not connected to RNS-E) - what does that do?

Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
a b7 though bought the changer on fleabay - seems to work without it though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts