Audi Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been installing an OEM Toyota nav unit in a friend's Camry. That experience really makes me appreciate the Audi community.

Every step has been difficult. Toyota doesn't publish detailed descriptions of their part numbers to their dealers or even to their tech support people that the dealers call. To find a part number, you need a VIN. There are 24 different part numbers for the dash bezel. In order to get the right dash bezel for the nav, I had to find a Camry with nav, and the right color dash so that I could copy down the VIN and use that to order the correct dash bezel. Not many Camrys have nav. I had to drive 40 miles to go physically look at a Camry I found online because the oneline description didn't say what color dash it had. Then when I ordered the part, it was still the wrong one because Toyota hadn't updated that vehicle's build sheet online. <plug>Thanks to dedicated people at Mechanicsville Toyota's parts department (specifically "Zach"), we were able to get the right part.</plug>

Getting the head unit out is very simple, yet requires you to know what to do. You have to pry out the HVAC controls, then pull out the dash bezel with your hands. Then there are four screws that hold the head unit in. No one, no where online could tell me this. I had to pay carstereohelp.com $4 to tell me this.

I'm still at a loss for finding the speed and reverse wires behind the cluster. One dealer told me that you can't install factory nav in a Camry after the factory and hung up on me. One dealer told me that the dealerships stopped getting wiring diagrams after 2002. He dug around in the 2002 book and gave me some wire colors that don't seem to exist behind the cluster of our 2005. I finally found Toyota's technical info website (https://techinfo.toyota.com/), which I will try this weekend.

If I were to ask you guys "What part number do I need to order for XXXX", or "Where do I find the speed and reverse wires", several people would respond with a list of five or six links each giving the info I need.

Toyota Camrys are fine cars and all, I'm sure glad I bought an Audi.

Jamie

·
Registered
996 Posts
I agree. On a similar topic, I have a friend with a 2005 Volvo S40 and he wants to add a simple MP3/Ipod player to his car and have it hardwired to the factory headunit.

Well....the 2005 S40 is based on a MOST/Fiber optic setup and nobody in the aftermarket community has anything that he can use...so he's forced to go via an FM modulated (which defeats the purpose of having an MP3 player...in my opinion). I guess you can say the same thing for the Audi C6 A6 and the D3 A8...as both of those are based on MOST too.

I just think the RNS-E is such a simple upgrade for most Audi's (1999/2000 or newer) and can offer you a range of options (A/V input, OEM Bluetooth, MP3/Phatbox etc)....all via one simple headunit. I love it!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts