Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get to the microphone on my 2001 C5. I can take the light cover off, and the map lights and sunroof switch, and the two screws under there, but that still leaves the main body with the microphone in place.

I have searched and only found pictures for an A4, and they don't seem to match my car. I am sure I have seen pictures here somewhere of the C5. Would a kind soul please point me to the right place.

Thanks, Bjarne

·
Registered
996 Posts
bjarne,
what do you need to get to your mic? Your car is prewired...so you shouldn't need to touch it.

As for removal, pull out sunroof dial/panel and disconnect.
Next, slide your fingers above/inside the mic panel and you'll feel two plastic tabs (one on either end) that need to be sligthly bent back for the mic panel to pop out. This is the only way to get it out. If you try and use a screwdriver...you will damage the panel....trust me.

Let me know

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ted, I will try that.

The reason I need to get the mike out is, that I have a buzzing sound at the other end, so I suspect the microphone. Lee also says, that he has seen old microphones with bad solder joint causing something like this. So I wanted to get the mike out to take a look.

Bjarne

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Bjarne,
You don't need to pull the sunroof controls. Just pop off the big dome light cover, then pull the dome light/microphone housing off by popping the back out first (under the clear cover you removed first). I can get mine off with my fingers, but some may be tighter. Just use a trim removal tool or puddy knife to get around the edge and pry it off.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Lee, speaking of microphones. Do you or anyone have any of the NEWER microphones that I need for my BT. Remember I was/am having terrible voice quality on the receiving end of my calls.

If someone has one, I'll buy.

Lee I'm actually working in Charlotte, NC but I'm working in Lincolnton, NC which is actually prettly close to you I believe.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Lee, you just saved me some money !

I pulled the microphone and resoldered all the connection. I did a test drive and made 3 calls to my answering machine, and the buzzing is gone :D

I managed to get the microphone panel out using your instructions. Looking at the piece I am sure Ted's instructions would have worked fine, but yours were easier.

Thanks both for the inputs.

Bjarne

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Todd, I do have a new mic you can try.

Bjarne, I'm glad you got it working! Todd, you may want to pull your mic and resolder it instead of buying a new one!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'll give it a look at and see if I can notice any problems with the soldering and get back with you.

Lee, don't you live close to Lincolnton, NC?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I am about 90 minutes from Lincolnton or Charlotte and was just in Charlotte on Saturday doing a RS6 install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.