Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After reading and reading and looking at pictures on here. I installed my Unit works fine.

My brother in law helped me with the install but we did not tap the wires on the GALA Speed Signal & Illumination Signal. What does the speed signal and Illumination signal do when its tap in?

I notice I dont get the Nav info or the FM info on the Console on the Dash as with my Symphony II displayed the info before I removed it.

Also I havent done the Vag to the car yet.

Any Help would be great.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The RNS-E doesn't use the GALA (except in the A6 C5) and lights wires, both signal are transferred over CAN (in the A3/A4). In the A6 you can continue to use the GALA signal and connect it to the v-pin on the RNS-E.

Since you don't get the radio display on the DIS either I would say you missed connecting the CAN wires correctly. But it would help if you would say what car and MY you have.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
The RNS-E doesn't use the GALA (except in the A6 C5) and lights wires, both signal are transferred over CAN (in the A3/A4). In the A6 you can continue to use the GALA signal and connect it to the v-pin on the RNS-E.

Since you don't get the radio display on the DIS either I would say you missed connecting the CAN wires correctly. But it would help if you would say what car and MY you have.
I have 2003 Audi A4 none Bose. So I dont need to tap into the GALA speed signal? What is the Illumination Signal for? Which wire connects to DIS?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
No need for the GALA signal in a 2003 A4. Every signal you need is transferred via CAN, pin 7 and 12 in the 20 pin connector I. The illumination signal make the buttons light up and changes the display to night mode when you turn on the lights.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
No need for the GALA signal in a 2003 A4. Every signal you need is transferred via CAN, pin 7 and 12 in the 20 pin connector I. The illumination signal make the buttons light up and changes the display to night mode when you turn on the lights.
I didnt tap into the Illumination signal but it does change at night and day mode. Last night it was at night mode and this morning it was different then night. You have day/night or auto and mine is set to auto.

how about the display not showing on DIS I plug all the cables in the harness beside one brown plug that has 3 wire which I'm thinking its for the CD changer as there was no other plug left out to plug to.

Do you think since I didnt VAG the car that DIS is disabled or shouldnt matter?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
Chekc the wiring based on NSX Jr's diagram, make sure that you have all the wires on the RNS-E side porperly connected. I would suspect something is wrong with your CAN wires.

http://www.nsxjr.com/docs/RNStoSym2.pdf
I' will check the IV connector and the Pin 9 and 10 to see if the connector is not all the way in. on the diagram pin 9 and 10 is for the DIS?

another odd thing when I connected the RNS-E it didnt ask for the 4 digit security code for me to input.

thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I am surprised how many people continue to come on here with questions about things that don't work right and then say "I have not VAGged the car yet".

VAG-COM coding is a REQURIED step in the installation of the RNS-E and almost any other device discussed on this site. If you have not used VAG-COM to reprogram your car, then your installation IS NOT COMPLETE and there will be things that do not work properly.

I hope this does not come across as a huge rant, but I guess this is just something that either gets overlooked or ignored by new RNS-E installers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NSX JR said:
I am surprised how many people continue to come on here with questions about things that don't work right and then say "I have not VAGged the car yet".

VAG-COM coding is a REQURIED step in the installation of the RNS-E and almost any other device discussed on this site. If you have not used VAG-COM to reprogram your car, then your installation IS NOT COMPLETE and there will be things that do not work properly.

I hope this does not come across as a huge rant, but I guess this is just something that either gets overlooked or ignored by new RNS-E installers.
I never said VAG COM is not required. That was my other step that I have to do I got the cable just need to load the software on my laptop and do the last step. I only wanted to know do I need to tap the 2 wires on the Dash since all the installation shows to tap on the 2 wire speed and Illumination signal.

Thanks for all your helps everyone.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Hmm, none of the installations in a A4 B6 show the GALA or illumination wires. Only an A6 C5 or A4 B5 needs the speed wire, and only A4 B6 without factory radio need to grab CAN from behind the instrument cluster.

It's no longer like in the old days where you grab a couple of wires, connect a radio and it works. Most of todays car a mid sized computers and disconnecting or connecting the wrong wire in the wrong place could cause some significant trouble.

Anyway, I think you are now on the right track. Good luck...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.