Audi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Ihave just installed RNS-E in my 1999 A6, and it seems to work fine. But it is no sound from the front speakers.

I have bose sound system in the rear. The front speakers is connected directly to the rns-e unit into the correct pins.
Could I have switched the + and - cabels?...
Is there any other way to connect this, or is this an programming issue

Anyone know what the problem is?

/esp1

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
esp1 said:
Ihave just installed RNS-E in my 1999 A6, and it seems to work fine. But it is no sound from the front speakers.

I have bose sound system in the rear. The front speakers is connected directly to the rns-e unit into the correct pins.
With the Bose system ALL four speakers are amplified, so the speakers MUST be connected to the Bose amplifier outputs in the rear of the car, and all four line level outputs from the RNS-E connected to the amplifier inputs.

The front speaker outputs of the RNS-E are disabled in Bose mode, so this is why connecting your front speakers directly to the RNS-E has made them not work.

You say your car had/has Bose - the original wiring from your old Audi radio would have been correct.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for reply..

I tought the front speakers was non bose. (My bad :-o)
Sadly, the car had no stereo when I bought it so I'm not sure where to connect the front speakers. Do You have any idea, or any schematics I can use?

/esp1

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
OK, we need to try and understand what wiring you have in your car. Let's start asking a few questions...

Have the front and rear speakers all got Bose labels on the grilles that you can see on the doors?

Did your car have an Audi stereo at sometime? If so, I presume it was a double DIN, maybe a Symphony (so the RNS-E fitted straight into the same hole in the dash)?

I'm not an expert on A6's, but I'm not sure about whether the CAN bus is present on a 1999 A6 - can someone else help us out here please?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again.

There are no Bose labels in front.

I have rebuilt the unit from single to double DIN, and the org. stereo was a Audi Concert.

My A6 did not have CAN bus, but that is provided from this adapter from Kufatec:
http://shop.kufatec.de/product_info...pter-inkl--Can-Bus-Interface---Simulator.html

I should also mention that while I was waiting for my RNS-E, I used a regular stereo with a Bose adapter, then all spakers worked fine.
With this said, I would now think that my front speaker are Bose, and again...where should I connect them :)

Thanx
/esp1

·
Registered
819 Posts
It sound's like you do not have Bose. Is there a Brown plug which is not connected lying around behind the din? If so then you would need a Non Bose RNS-E adapter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I beleve that there is a brown connector back there, I shall take out the unit tonight and check again.

Here is also a picture of the adapter I used for a regular stereo. (When everything was working) http://home.c2i.net/esp1/test/

/esp1

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
There are some C5 A6 cars even with BOSE that have the brown 8-pin connector. This is used for the small telephone speaker in the B-pillar. If you really don't have BOSE, then the brown connector will have 4 wires installed, if you don't have BOSE, the brown connector will only have 2 wires, or you won't have the brown connector at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have checked it again now.
The brown connector have 4 wires.

It is these wires I have plugged into the RNS-E unit.

/esp1

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
In your RNS-E adapter, is there a wire going to pin B7? If yes then your RNS-E is running in Bose mode and the internal amp for the front speakers is disabled. If the wire is there, remove the wire and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
No, rear is always active, Bose or not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi again.

Removed pin B7 and now it works like a dream :)

Thanx for all help !!

Love this forum :)

/esp1

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Glad that between us all we could solve your problem.

That's what I love about this forum - no flames, no smart alecs, just people wanting to help others.

It's great to be part of this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts