Audi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got almost 5 days worth of purchased music. Ironically, I bought it for the convenience... and now I'm inconvenienced by having to decrypt it. :evil:

For those not familiar, there are two programs that enable you to do this.. myFairTunes (iTunes only, free) http://hymn-project.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1555 or Tunebite ($25 I think, Windows Media Player or iTunes). http://tunebite.com

I'm using myFairTunes on my Mac through Parallels (Windows users can run it more easily :()... it's a pain but it works. What's great about this app is it converts as the song is playing... and that's it. You have an M4A out of an M4P... it doesn't have to decrypt THEN encode. It's in real-time though... so 5 days of music takes 5 days to convert.

The only thing that sucks is, as far as I know, the RNS-E can't play MPEG-4 (M4A) files on its own... so I'll have to again convert these files to MP3s. That kind of sucks but at least I can do it now, where as with M4Ps you can't do anything with them. (stupid DRM)

I just ordered an SD card and can't wait. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Have you tried to burn a normal audio (AIFF files) CD from iTunes, then get iTunes to re-import them as MP3s? I've been meaning to try this for a while, but not managed to find the time.....

Let us know if this works.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That does work, but you waste CDs and its a very involved process. Using myFairTunes... you can just leave it running in the background.

I decided I mine as well convert all of my protected music to non-protected while a method is available... these programs stop working as iTunes updates its encryption, so I don't want to miss-out.

If you do want to do the CD method, here's how:

as the other person said.. iTunes can convert m4a to mp3 unless it was purchased from iTunes Store (a trick for that later)..

simply highlight the music you want to convert; under ADVANCED select CONVERT SELECTION TO MP3.. i guess i cant say 100% that this function is available on MAC, but it is for sure on PC.. one downside is (if memory serves correctly), it does not replace the m4a.. so then you have to go back and delete the m4a so you dont have 2 versions of the song taking up space.. you can test with just 1 or 2 songs..

then go into EDIT, PREFERENCES, IMPORT and change the file type to MP3 (default is ACC or M4A).. now all future imports will be MP3..

for songs purchased on iTunes, you will have to waste some CDs..
- if you purchased complete albums
... create a playlist with the songs from the album in the correct order
... burn an audio CD
... import the songs back into iTunes (make sure you are importing as MP3).. iTunes will ask if you want to replace purchased songs -- say YES..

- for singles, individual, random songs
... create a playlist with the purchased songs (you can fit ~15-20 songs on an audio CD -- unfortunately iTunes does not display how much space in left on an audio CD)
... burn an audio CD, but DO NOT EJECT THE DISK!!!.. if you keep the disk in, all the song info will automatically show up.. once you eject the disk you will lose all the track info on the CD and it will show up as track01, track02, etc..
... import the songs back into iTunes (make sure you are importing as MP3).. iTunes will ask if you want to replace purchased songs -- say YES..

once your songs are all mp3, you can just drag them straight from iTunes to your SD card..

hope this helps..

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah I think if you would just burn them to a CD or DVD and then import them back as mp3's it would have been alot easier.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
todd1010 said:
Yeah I think if you would just burn them to a CD or DVD and then import them back as mp3's it would have been alot easier.
You can't, iTunes doesn't support burning to DVD Audio. That would be faster. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
todd1010 said:
I just burn to to cd and re-import. I used to use "JHymm" for converting to mp3 files, but it does not support the latest versions of itunes.

Steve

·
Registered
737 Posts
What I'm saying is burn them in mp3 format on a DVD so you'll fit more files on there than a CD. Then import them back in.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
smash said:
todd1010 said:
What I'm saying is burn them in mp3 format on a DVD so you'll fit more files on there than a CD. Then import them back in.
Doesn't work.
I know the RNS-E won't read an MP3 format DVD, only a CD.

But I can't see why writing MP3's to a CD and reading them back into a PC works (it does, several people do it this way), but writing them to a DVD won't?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PetrolDave said:
But I can't see why writing MP3's to a CD and reading them back into a PC works (it does, several people do it this way), but writing them to a DVD won't?
I'm sure I've tried that before. Regardless, even if it did work, you'd lose your track number meta tag info in favor of the newly written audio CD's... that's not an option for me except with single tracks.

In the future when I buy iTunes tracks, I'm probably just going to purchase a single CD-RW and hopefully iTunes will re-write to that over and over in small amounts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
todd1010 said:
That's fine for songs you have ripped, but I-tunes won't burn a purchased song in MP3.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A4 S--Line said:
todd1010 said:
That's fine for songs you have ripped, but I-tunes won't burn a purchased song in MP3.
you sure about that? i'm almost positive i've burned my relatively few purchases to mp3. i know it won't convert them to mp3 using the itunes application, but don't recall ever having a problem burning my itunes purchases to mp3 on my windows pc.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can burn a Purchased song to a traditional Audio CD, but not to an MP3 CD.
The later would save a few steps, I wish it worked :D

·
Registered
515 Posts
smash said:
You can burn a Purchased song to a traditional Audio CD, but not to an MP3 CD.
The later would save a few steps, I wish it worked :D
i will second his statement..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts