Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PHOTO'S ADDED FOR CARIOLET ROOF SWITCH, ETC. FURTHER DOWN POSTINGS.

Thanks to all the articles here and the input from other users, I have successfully been able to completed all the hardware installation of my RNS-E which included a 1 din to 2 din upgrade.

It’s worth noting that the Cabriolet 2DIN frame is different to the standard A4 one, as I did not have to touch the ESP switch or cup holder as they are fitted above the frame and in a separate unit. Also the centre console has an extra connector on it for the roof switch and that is a real pig to remove. :!:

I have taken some photo’s of the differences which I will post here once I’ve worked out how to.

Anyhow, to my problem….. :?:

I am unable to talk to the RNS-E or BT units, using VAG-COM, I just get an error "too many connection errors". I can, however, connect to all the existing modules, like instruments, etc. without any problems ???

I believe I did correctly connected the K-Line "B5" to the grey Diagnostic lead on the BT cable, but how can I confirm that it is connected correctly ? I am also assuming that the K-Line was connected to the old Chorus II radio, I never tried connecting to it before removing it.

I tried to access the Can-Bus module (which is not present on my car) and it reported "no module found", so I assume that it can see the RNS-e but just can't talk to it ?

I'm pretty new to all this so please be gentle ! :oops:

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Too many communications errors usually points to an old version of VAG-COM (less than 512, current is 607) or a cheap no-name cable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The easiest way I can think of to verify if the RNS-E is communicating with the CAN bus is to turn your headlights on. If the backlights on the unit come on, it is talking to the CAN bus.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RDM128 said:
The easiest way I can think of to verify if the RNS-E is communicating with the CAN bus is to turn your headlights on. If the backlights on the unit come on, it is talking to the CAN bus.
Now I'm really confused. :?:

The backlights on the RNS-E DO come on with the car's side lights. :lol:

but I did not thnk my car actually had the Can-Bus, the VGA-COM reports NO Can-Bus. :?:

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You have CAN but you don't have a CAN gateway and your car doesn't use CAN for diagnostics.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Dave.G6HNI said:
but I did not thnk my car actually had the Can-Bus, the VGA-COM reports NO Can-Bus. :?:
You actually have several different CAN busses! - but VAG-COM doesn't see them directly on a B6 (like yours) because there isn't a CAN connection to the diagnostic socket, which is why VAG-COM says "NO CAN-Bus".

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PetrolDave said:
Dave.G6HNI said:
You actually have several different CAN busses! - but VAG-COM doesn't see them directly on a B6 (like yours) because there isn't a CAN connection to the diagnostic socket, which is why VAG-COM says "NO CAN-Bus".
So the fact that the RNS-E switches on and off correctly and the backlight work, I guess that means the Can-Bus is connected correctly ? :?: :D

So, I'm back to square one, how can I confirm that the K-Line is wired up correctly ? :?:

If I can communicate (using VAG-COM) with all the modules except the two I've just installed, I suspect my wiring rather than the KKL Diagnostic lead, or am I still missing something ? :?:

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Dave.G6HNI said:
So the fact that the RNS-E switches on and off correctly and the backlight work, I guess that means the Can-Bus is connected correctly ? :?: :D
That's one of the best indications that the CAN bus is connected correctly.

Dave.G6HNI said:
So, I'm back to square one, how can I confirm that the K-Line is wired up correctly ? :?:

If I can communicate (using VAG-COM) with all the modules except the two I've just installed, I suspect my wiring rather than the KKL Diagnostic lead, or am I still missing something ? :?:
I think you're right, it's most likely a wiring problem - and most likely in the adapter between the old radio and the RNS-E.

Grab your trusty multimeter and buzz out the connection from the pin marked as K-line on the connector of your old radio (Connector III, pin 3) and check that connects to your RNS-E (Connector B, pin 5).

If that buzzes out OK then you'll need to buzz out the lead from there back to the diagnostic connector above the drivers feet (note the radio and RNS-E actually connect to the second K line, the L line).

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pictures as promised

Firstly, here is the Cabriolet centre console switch assembly and it's location.

And in the Glove Box I added a Switched 12v Socket !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.