Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've finally joined the RNS-E owners club, having taken delivery of my new A3 today. Have had a quick play and read through the manual and have a couple of questions.

1. Is it me or does the navigation voice sound a bit muffled, as if it could do with more treble? Radio/MP3 sounds are fine after I've made the required adjustments in the menus but there are no such adjustments for the nav voice. It's still perfectly intelligible, just a bit muffled and I was wondering if this is normal?

2. The auto-volume for the nav voice seems a bit strange. When listening to the radio at "normal" volumes, it does indeed turn the volume down a bit when the nav instructions are read out and then returns it afterward. When listening to MP3s at fairly high volume however, it didn't seem to work. The nav voice just seemed to be competing with the music rather than turning it down the requisite amount. I think I need to play with this a bit more, adjusting the relative volume settings to see how it's working.

3. I loaded up an SD card with some MP3s to play on the way back from the dealer and, although they played absolutely fine, none of the ID3 tags appeared to be working. The RNS-E screen showed the filenames only, not showing the ID3 tag name at all, even once the track was playing, and the DIS display just showed "MP3" at the top all the time. The files in question have both ID3V1 and ID3V2 tags on them. Where am I going wrong here?

Cheers for any input :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I've answered number 3 - didn't have the option set to display the track rather than the filename - now it replaces the filename with the track name when it plays and puts this in the DIS.

That said, the DIS only shows the first few characters of the track name which, in most cases, is next to bloody useless. I'd have thought it would scroll or at least use both lines rather than waste the top one with "MP3" all the time. Not impressed with that bit of design at all I have to say.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Vertigo1 said:
That said, the DIS only shows the first few characters of the track name which, in most cases, is next to bloody useless. I'd have thought it would scroll or at least use both lines rather than waste the top one with "MP3" all the time. Not impressed with that bit of design at all I have to say.
Apparently there's some agreement in place that says they won't scroll text on the DIS to avoid distracting the driver.

Personally I'd rather have scrolling as an option I can setup (give me the choice, don't "nanny" me!).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, I can sort of see what they mean there but at the very least they could use both lines, as happens when you're scrolling through the phonebook. Why they have to waste an entire line with the text "MP3" is beyond me.

Any ideas on the first two points? (Don't wish to pester but you are one of the more "useful" people around the various forums :) ) I realise that you have a totally different model of car to me with a different sound system so things could well be different.

Regards point 1, I did wonder whether it was because I had the BOSE system as, if the nav sound is only coming from the driver's door speaker then it'd be missing most of the treble produced from the A-pillar tweeter.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Certainly on the A4 (with and without Bose), and I suspect it's the same on the A3, the door midrange speakers and the tweeters are actually wired in parallel with a passive crossover - so the nav voice comes out of both the midrange speakers and tweeters. Remember the voice is digitised and I suspect they have used a fairly lossy form of compression so the quality isn't all it could be.

The volume adjustment appears to work as you have suggested on all cars - which to me is kinda backwards.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have only witnessed on two occasions when text is scrolling in the DIS:

Car: C5
Region: United States

1) When a Euro RNSE (not updated to 0110 or 0150) is installed and I was listening to FM radio. RDS would scroll radio info in the cluster and in the display of the RNSE

2) When my Sirius tuner is updating is station list. The DIS would read SDARS....and something else that I can't remember. In this situation, I was without Sirius for a few hours (only happened once in the last 12 months).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.