Audi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an EU RNS-E that needs to be upgraded to the US firmware. I've read all the stickies and have searched the forums but still have a few questions.

If I have the 2009/2010 RNS-E North American DVD, I need to do the 5-file hack, correct? Is there a specific thread that walks through editing the two files? I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to determine what to change the values to.

Also, do I need a vag-com to do this? I've seen some threads suggesting it may not be necessary. Someone in Toronto is offering to let me 'rent' his vag-com for $35 for 25 minutes. Could I do everything I need in those 25 minutes? I could also buy a cheap ebay knockoff for $60, would those work for the limited changes I need to do?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Someone in Toronto is offering to let me 'rent' his vag-com for $35 for 25 minutes.
I must say, that seems a little steep...

most people will do some VAG-Com-ing for beer.

If you were in town, I'd do whatever you wanted me to try for a couple of hours for that money and a 12-pack!

Try 'vagfinder'.

Keith

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must say, that seems a little steep...

most people will do some VAG-Com-ing for beer.

If you were in town, I'd do whatever you wanted me to try for a couple of hours for that money and a 12-pack!

Try 'vagfinder'.

Keith
No kidding..just got a pm from someone who did the conversion and he's helping me out with the cds and knows a shop that'll code for twenty bucks! There's definitely some awesome Audi owners out there...to make up for ripoffs like this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here are the results:
My car info shows the following sw index: X
HW index: H99
HU/NAVI Sw: v2200815
Boot: v220100D
Audio sw: a2210141-080807

We verified and modified the VAG code, 97 I believe, to 1. Both for radio and nav.
I ran the US 100(or 110) disk. The disk was read but i was not prompted to update.
We inserted his 200 series map disk (can't remember the exact number), again no prompt to update.

What are my next steps? I don't believe I need VAGCOM anymore, since the bits are set to 1. They were verified and they held their values.

Any insights would be appreciated!

--

Burned another cd using the VIM tool, and had the same results. CD is being recognized as a software update CD but it is not upgrading.

More hours spent reading these forums and I have now tried this:
Verified european CD does work.
Got the latest 2009 DVD for NA.
European softix is set to 650.
I took the 5 files off the NA DVD, changed 222 to 220. Changed sofitix to 690.
burned this one a cd.

It BEGAN UPDATING.!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nnew issue: I finally upgraded and I'm at V222 for Maps but SW-X.

I used a v260 NA DVD but it did not read it as a navigation cd. When clicking on Nav, I get Please Insert Navigation DVD. It is reading correctly since the title of the disk shows up.

Since my software is at 690, to get an update I think my next steps are to change 97 to 1, use an original DVD, and upgrade the software to 260.

In the mean time, any way for me to modify the existing NA 260 DVD so it works in my unit? Since I'm at v222 I don't see why this isn't working.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed it. I've written up a how-to following my experiences. Hope this saves someone a few hours!
----
After hours, and hours of failure, I finally managed to get my european RNS-E unit running US software and reading US maps. You do not need VAG-COM to convert the unit to a usable state, but it does help to have. Here is my how-to:

Things you will need:

At minimum:
CD Burner
Hex Editor (There are many free ones available)
Original NAV DVD (or your backup copy of one)

Optional but nice:
VAG-COM
Dual Layer DVD burner that can set booktype to DVD-ROM (For Macs, you can use DVDPlusTool : DVDPlusTool for Mac OS X and a dual-layer DVD)

1. First step is to enter engineering mode.
Turn the unit on if it is not already
Click Nav
Press and hold the top-left button above the round wheel. Hold it for 10 seconds. Let go
Quickly press and hold the top-right button until engineering mode appears.
Go to General Info

If your System SW is X -- you are in hybrid mode. Remember this
If your System SW is not X -- you are not in hybrid mode. Remember your software number / SOXIDX number
If Navi and Audio SW start with V222 - your machine is, for all practical purposes, a US machine. If either or both are V220 or V221 it is still in Europrean mode. Remember the version number.

If your machine is in European mode (V220 or V221) you will now convert it to US. If it is already V222 then you should skip this next step.

2. Get these five files of a US DVD.
00.VNS
A222####.MOT
INDEX.TXT
LDM.BIN
LOADING.KWI

Copy them to a new folder called Update CD

Using the hex editor, change the first two instances of V222 in LOADING.KWI to match the version of your RNS-E Unit (from step 1)

Using a text editor, change both 222s in index.dat to match your RNS-E Unit's current version number (from step 1).

Change the SOXIDX: number to 10 more than what your current System SW is. If you were at 0650, change it to 0660, etc.

If your SW was showing X and you do not know what your SOXIDX should be, load up any Nav DVD that works with your unit. Since this DVD does not prompt you to update, the SOXIDX on the DVD is equal to your SOXIDX. Read the index.dat on the DVD and add 10. Change this number on the index.dat file in your “Update CD” folder. I had to change mine to 660 to register. You may have to change it higher.

Burn these five files to a CD and insert in your RNS-E. If it reads properly, it should perform the software update, upgrading your Nav and Audio to v222. If it does not, scroll down to Issues I've Noticed below.

Go to Engineering mode again verify that your Nav and Audio are v222. Your SW should still show X. 

If you have VAGCOM, change STG 56 channel 97 to 1. Insert your original US DVD. An update should start again.

Your SW should now show SW-260, the same SOXIDX that was on your original DVD.

If you do not have VAGCOM, you can still use the current Nav CD you have. Future updates can be performed by copying the entire DVD to your computer, adding 10 to your current SOXIDX on the index.dat file of the DVD and burning that folder as a DVD-ROM

Ideally, you will want to set channel 97 to 1 instead.

Issues I’ve Noticed:

When inserting a DVD of the same region, it reads as Software Update and not as Navigation.
Problem: DVD was not burned properly as a DVD-ROM. Search the internet to see if your burner can have its booktype changed. If not, you will need to use your original DVD and not your backup copy.

Software recognized by RNS-E reader (title shows up properly) but does not automatically initiate update.
Problem: Channel 97 was not set to 1 or version number on the index.dat file and the loading.kwp file do not match the version numbers of the unit. If both are set correctly, try increasing your SOXIDX by increments of 10 until it updates. For some reason, mine would not update despite having set 97 to 1.

Any issues feel free to pm me or email: pedram . navid @ gmail . com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts