Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I went out to the car to upgrade my RNS-E software from 0100 (supplied with my 2005 DVD) to 0460 and then 0500 using DVDs I purchased from Craigyb.

Started with 0460 as Craig said, and the upgrade worked, the RNS-E rebooted, it then did some more and then rebooted again - as people have said it would on this forum.

However, here I made a mistake (I've been in touch with Craig this afternoon and he's verified this). I inserted the 0500 software DVD without realising that the 0460 has to continue again. The RNS-E ran the 0500 upgrade as well, rebooted once, but now I get a "Please insert software CD" message when it powers up.

It doesn't matter which DVD I put in now (even my original 2005 DVD) but the message doesn't clear. You can hear the RNS-E reading the DVD but then it stops and nothing happens.

In between contacting Craig - and searching this forum - I powered the RNS-E off, and when I came back outside to try again after 20 minutes it wouldn't power at all. Craig was a great help here; I removed the RNS-E from the dash and disconnected the adapters as he suggested to completely power it off. Waited about minute, reconnected them and it powered back up, but with the same message.

Any suggestions? I don't have VAG-COM to check for any errors or to see which software version I have installed. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Did you remove all CD/DVD and let it sit powered on for a couple of minutes? I had this a couple of times and in all cases the RNS-E continued with the pending update even though there was no CD/DVD in the drive. To me it looked like it already read all the updates off the CD but when it found a CD with another update it got confused. Removing that CD let it recover and complete the pending update.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response - sounds like a good idea! Because I'd removed the RNS-E to unplug the power adapters, it's indoors right now so I'll try this tonight when I get home from work.

So annoying driving into the office this morning with a gaping hole in the middle of the dash and utter silence ... :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Solved! At least I hope so. I went back to the car tonight and took out the DVD as suggested above, but even after 20 minutes the same "Please insert software CD" message remained.

So I put the 0460 DVD in, and nothing, and then put the 0500 DVD in and suddenly - "Updating software, please wait ...". This must have been the final stage of the update, because after a couple of minutes, the RNS-E switched itself off. I waited about 30 seconds, turned it on, and hey presto - version 0500.

I can't actually figure out what was wrong other than perhaps some dirt on the DVD, but after putting the 2006_1/0460 DVD back in, I'm all set.

Thanks to AudiA4B6US for your post, and also Craigyb who I've PM'd so many times on Audi-Sport.net now he must be fed up of me! Will keep an eye on things this week but I had a play with the unit and it seems good, even noting the subtle differences of the newer software version.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts