Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with Lee today about me getting a RNS-E with SDS for my B6 S4 that didn't come with SDS. I currently am seeking a unit with SDS so I can try to get full functionality.

The one thing Lee mentioned was that “voice control module†is only for the MOST network cars. He thinks that the CANbus cars never had full voice control (e.g., climate control, wipers, radio, etc) and therefore I think that the SDS is simply built into the RNS-E unit itself.

Does anyone know if this should be pursued any more because on the voice control module only working on MOST network cars and not CANbus?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I wouldn't agree with that. If you look at the B7 A4 with multifunction steering wheel you will see TEL TALK button. This is preparation for SDS system. Same thing with Steering Contro module. There is an option to activate this button for TEL functionality. Of course if system is not detected it will give you error in VAG.

I'm on that task for a while and I have almost everything required to connect SDS (including J unit), but honestly I think it is more to it than just unit.

You need to be sur that your TEL interface is also SDS compatible (there is small text on the left lower part of the sticker saying "SDS"). I see that most units manufactured after 2005 are SDS enabled.

[siteimg:bfc60203d6]481[/siteimg:bfc60203d6]

I suspect that some VAG coding for TEL interface will be necessary as well as RNS-E VAG coding. Maybe coding for TEMIC will be allowed once proper wiring is done. Who knows. As usually we need to go with trial and error ](*,)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aright then I will get the unit and we'll try to get this working. I will need to check my Telephone module to see if it says SDS.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
SDS is not voice control for the phone interface. SDS is voice control for navigation, radio, MP3 and so on. I can't speak for the US RNS-E but in Europe there is only one RNS-E, the 8E0 035 192 H that supports SDS (ok, maybe two because is supposed to be an A3 unit with SDS as well). All other 8E0 are not confirmed to support SDS.

The first question would be: Can you buy a new A4 in North America with full SDS, that means voice control for radio, navigation and MP3? If not then there is probably no SDS capable US RNS-E.

If you can then this is the unit you need. Besides the SDS RNS-E you will need to rewire your microphone to connect to the RNS-E through the MIC in pins and add two wires between the RNS-E MIC out and the phone interface.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
That's what scares me...everyone thinks that J unit is SDS enabled but I don't see any indication of this functionality.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
BayrischerS4 said:
I have everything wired and coded and have yet to get the SDS to work. It gives me options on the menu for SDS (only for using the Telephone voice commands) but it has yet to work.
And this is with J unit...correct?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The original question from Todd was about the SDS system in general. I told him that there was a "voice control module" present in the MOST cars that controlled all the voice functions in the car. However, I think that this module does not exist for the RNS-E systems (CANbus cars) and therefore he would be safe to go ahead and try out the SDS enabled RNS-E by connecting his microphone properly.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
For some reason everyone assumed that J unit is SDS ready while I didn't find even one note about it. In the same time it could be just matter of connecting all wires, proper coding and/or firmware upgrade, but as Lanny wrote, this setup doesn't work at leastfor now.

In first I suspected that SDS is using A2DP to communicate with Navigation, but after analyzing all components it is clear that SDS microphone is connected directly to RNS-E. Since main unit doesn't have Bluetooth radio (unless without special A2DP adapter or using TEL module) then it should be possible to enable SDS on RNS-E based units, not only MMI.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Alex,

Here is what I have and what is happening thus far; I'm still trying out various coding options but won't be able to do more until I get back:

RNS-E "J" version, B7 MFSW & BT. When pressing the speech button on the Steering wheel it asks me for voice commands and shows the options on the RNS-E screen and also tells me vocally what is possible. Options are all associated with Telephone and no options for anything else. It does have the heading of SDS Commands. The microphone is connected directly to the RNS-E and the output from there to the BT module.

It does not recognize my speech at all and I've adjusted the input db gain through various ranges with no desirable result. When I get back I will connect the microphone directly to the BT module to try and eliminate the microphone - could be a bad mic but god I hope not with the cost of these things.

I'll also be looking into more coding options.

Cheers,

Lanny

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
what is coding of your BT module and your RNS-E?
Now since you got me interested, I will try to do some tests on my own :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
i have the oem bluetooth and c5 a6 rns-e in my b5 rs4

the oem mic is wired to the phone module not the rns-e

i added the mfsw controller and wheel, and after coding for voice control , i get the voice menu on the rns with a range of telephone controls

and they work fine - it clearly understands most of what i say and does some of them....

so it would appear that for rns-e voice phone controls you dont need to connect the mic to the rns-e, only the oem bluetooth module.

as i dont have an sds enabled rns-e i didnt expect to get any other voice commands of course

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.