Audi Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2014 A5 Premium Plus Cabriolet Quattro 2.0T
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my 2014 A5 Q 2.0T since new, and I usually do my own maintenance, so I have been able to measure and prove the behavior of the electronic dipstick display myself in several ways, but still I have some gaps in what I know. I'm hoping some more knowledgeable commenters can fill these in. What I definitely know for sure:
1. the oil level display gives zero indication as to whether the crankcase is overfilled, or merely exactly full. I routinely put in 5.0 US quarts of oil during an oil change, instead of the specified 4.9 qts. This small 0.1 qt. excess has never caused any problems, and the oil display on my dashboard usually shows the same "Max" oil level month after month. 2. By carefully underfilling my crankcase briefly during one oil change I did, I proved that pouring 4.0 qts oil into the engine does indeed make the display exactly show "Min" oil level as I hoped. 3. The display's minimum visible increment-of-change, as oil is slowly consumed, appears to be about 0.25 qt. In other words, if during a change I poured in exactly 4.9 qts., the display would then read exactly "Max" all the way until about 4.65 qts. was the amount of oil in the engine. And then the display would look the same until the oil total reached 4.4 qts., etc. 4. Other owners with a little OCD like me, can quite easily buy a dipstick online. I found one for $10-$20, I think the kind for GTIs. The hash-marked min/max on this dipstick seem a little off (too far down) for my car, but it's still very reassuring to see actual oil on an actual stick when I want to. The yellow plastic handle looks great, and only slightly rubs on the insulation mat of the closed hood, so I remain happy with it. (I've now got 68,000 miles.) Now for the remaining puzzles: A) the dashboard occasionally gives the message "engine must be warm and turned off for 2 minutes, and ignition turned on" (or something like that), without showing the oil level gauge. Yet most of the time if I select "Car / Maintenance / Oil Level" I do see the oil level gauge with a reading showing, whether the engine is on or off, warm or cold. What is actually happening here? Am I just seeing old data from when I last had the engine warm but off? B) My most recent crankcase fill was for nearly a year 2021-2022 when I did little driving (~2500 miles). Possibly my oil consumption has started to slowly increase. For the first time, I began to see, over the last few months, an oil level in service that was less than "Max". The odd thing here was, checking every few days, I would see the gauge show "4.65 qt" a few times, then be back up at "Max" a time or two, then go down again the next week. This repeated once or twice before I finally did a whole oil change yesterday. Is this just the effect of the sensors doing their measurement in various parking locations at various slopes / sideways tilts which do physically change the oil level at the sensor? (I do live in a hilly region). Maybe my questions A) and B) really relate to the same algorithm -- does anyone have a feel for what that is, how often the car actually stops and thinks about its own oil level? (Some of the time I yearn for the simple days of my youth, when our 1973 SAAB had a fuel gauge that literally was so un-damped that you could see the waves of the sloshing in the gas tank, making the needle of the gas gauge go up and down.)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts