Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the USA software does not include the mute function by pressing the on/off switch, many users here have searched for some way to mute the system.

I installed a simple mute switch this weekend using an Audi dash switch for the on/off functions of the muting. The wiring diagram is below.

The muting function simply comes from connecting pin D11 (TEL Mute) on the RNS-E to ground. The other wiring in the diagram is to allow the indicator lamp on the switch to illuminate when the grounding is switched on (useful if something strange were to happen and you were wondering if the telephone was muting things, or your switch, or you just lost sound for some reason). Instead of doing all this wiring, the installer could install a simple non-illuminated swtich to ground that connects to pin D11 with none of the other wiring connections or relay required.

This diagram uses the Audi dash switch which is a bit more "smooth" appearance-wise. So, now when I pull up to the drive thru window I can simply press the switch on my dash and the system is muted (or paused for CD/MP3 playback). When muted, the mute icon does show at the bottom of the screen (to the left of the clock).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
132 Posts
nice wirteup - i already did something like this :D

just using the tel mute in the back and basically is like a regular electrical switch - runs current through it to mute :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Or you can just pull your hood latch. :) My radio mutes when my hood is open. Anyone else have this happen? Does anyone know why?

·
Registered
27 Posts
NSX JR said:
Since the USA software does not include the mute function by pressing the on/off switch, many users here have searched for some way to mute the system.
Thanks. Now, I wonder why Audi didn't provide this useful feature in the USA (Power mute/pause). (I just wrote yet another RNS-E complaint to Audi about this missing item..)

Since it's highly unlikely that they'll make any changes based on this one user's complaint, I may have to do this. What switch did you use? (P/N?)
I don't have any spaces left in my A3, but I can probably convert my card tray into three more switch bays.

A better idea: Use the right inside steering wheel button for this function. (It does nothing in my car.)
I wonder if this button produces a CAN bus message anyway? If so, might it be possible to discover what the message is, and build a box to intercept it and toggle an external mute circuit..

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That seems like wicked trouble to go through when you could just roll the volume scroll down on the steering wheel about as quckly as pressing your voice button. Besides, you'll want that voice button when you install the BT kit so you can do your voice dialing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts