Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well having found a dealer with a 2007 disc set in stock and filled in all the paperwork for my free swap-out, I discovered today that my existing nav disc won't eject! The button does nothing at all, I tried resetting the unit by holding the RADIO and SETUP buttons for 10 seconds but still nothing.

Anyone got any ideas? It looks to me like an electrical rather than mechanical problem as there's no noise from the unit at all when you press the button, such as a struggling ejection mechanism, plus after pressing it like a loon for a while the screen eventually folds back up as if you'd not been pressing anything at all. The button is illuminated however.

Is there a "harder" reset for the RNS-E that I can try in case it's a logic issue, or does anyone have any ideas on what else to try? It's booked back in for them to have a look at it as the guy said it might be down to coding (can't see how tbh but what do I know). I'm more concerned that the unit is faulty in which case I'm presumably looking at a replacement unit and another dealer visit.

Rather peeved atm as I'd actually managed to sort out the free disc upgrade and then get thwarted by this! :(

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Check #37 od #56 Channel 067 (Eject CD/DVD):
000 - default
001 - eject CD/DVD
255 - eject button locked, no eject possible

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would if I had a VAG-COM :(

Another post on here suggested that Audi are locking the eject mechanism during transit to prevent people pinching the discs. If this is indeed the case then presumably the supplying dealer is supposed to recode the unit to allow ejection prior to delivery.

I'm hoping this is all it is as the dealer will be able to rectify it easily when I go back on Friday. My worst fear was that the unit was knackered and I'd need it replaced.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
000 - default
001 - eject CD/DVD
On the offchance I can find someone with a VAG-COM I can make use of, you say it's #37 or #56, how do I know which for sure? Also, what's the difference between 000 and 001?

As you can probably tell, I know squat about VAG-COM. Where did you get the above information from as I'd like to know what else I could fiddle with if I invested in one.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Vertigo1 said:
AudiA4B6US said:
000 - default
001 - eject CD/DVD
On the offchance I can find someone with a VAG-COM I can make use of, you say it's #37 or #56, how do I know which for sure? Also, what's the difference between 000 and 001?

As you can probably tell, I know squat about VAG-COM. Where did you get the above information from as I'd like to know what else I could fiddle with if I invested in one.
The RNS-E answers to both address 37 and 56 - it doesn't matter which one you use.

000 = eject button unlocked, "normal" operation
001 = eject DVD, even when the button is locked
255 = eject button locked (ignored), eject only possible by storing 1 into channel 67 (which will eject the DVD and the value will return to 255) or by changing channel 67 to 0 and thereby re-enabling the eject button.

It seems to be common practice now for cars to be shipped from the factory with 255 stored in channel 67 preventing the DVD from being ejected.

Part of the PDI process should be to set this channel to 0 so the eject button can be used by the owner, however some dealers are missing out this step.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the info both of you. Now trying to find someone in the Birmingham area with a VAG-COM that I can pester tomorrow as if I can get it sorted I'll just nip back down to Stratford first thing Monday and grab the new disc.

PetrolDave, why don't you live closer goddamnit! ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All sorted. Found a help VAG-COM owner over in Leicestershire and managed to reset the value in channel 67 to 000 and hey presto, I can now eject my nav DVD.

I note that Stratford Audi, who have my new 2007 disc set, are open at 7.30 tomorrow morning so I think I'll take an early run down there before work and grab the new disc. TMC nirvana, here we come.

Thanks to all for th info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RNS-E Disc wont eject

I have just retro-fitted an RNS E into my A3 and the disc wont eject. I hear what you guys are saying about changing #67 to 0 I just need access to a VAG-COM to do it. Are there any members with a VAG-COM in the Ely (Cambidgeshire) area that would be able to help out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts