Audi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using DVD nav system last night and all of a sudden the screen says unable to read disc check disk
I took out the DVD and re inserted but it gave an error message unable to read disk so I shut the whole system down and figured the disk over heated and I waited until the next morning but still the same. After work I will try and play a music cd to see if it is a software issue or a hardware. I have only had the system for less than a month. The DVD is a burned copy could that be the problem any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello,

first i would take out the unit and remove the top to see if the drive is spinning around.. if not this might be an hardware issue... then you should try the original dvd or try another backup which is working.

·
Registered
300 Posts
skiinstr said:
I was using DVD nav system last night and all of a sudden the screen says unable to read disc check disk
I took out the DVD and re inserted but it gave an error message unable to read disk so I shut the whole system down and figured the disk over heated and I waited until the next morning but still the same. After work I will try and play a music cd to see if it is a software issue or a hardware. I have only had the system for less than a month. The DVD is a burned copy could that be the problem any suggestions would be appreciated.
The symtoms you describe are not unheard of if the unit is really cold and especially if it is a humid cold.

Let the unit warm up and see what happens.

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same issue. My burned copy would work than get the error you reported. The disk might be burned to cheap media.

I got a real copy and now it works perfectly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also having problems with a burned disc. Will be ordering one from Navteq I think.

The dual layer DVD-Rs don't seem to do well when hot.

Nav always works from cold start, but after an hour, I get disc read errors and the disc is pretty hot when you eject it. Sometimes letting it cool off and reinserting works.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
bad media can cause this problem, but it can also be dirt in your laser. I've had some problems with a player that did not read any DVD, but after inserting a cleaning CD (the one with the very small brushes on it) everything worked fine again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts