Audi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am on the verge of getting an RNS-E retrofitted into my UK spec RS6 saloon. I’ve decided to get Bluetooth fitted at the same time but I’m currently deliberating over the TV Tuner upgrade. I don’t watch too much on UK Terrestrial channels so the OEM analogue tuner isn’t worth the cost of the upgrade to me personally especially if the analogue signal is getting switched off in the not too distant future. Instead I was initially thinking of installing a Dietz DVB-T (mainly due to the RNS-E control) but after reading a few negative reports on the digital signal strength in the UK on this and other forums I’m kind of going off the idea.

So for those people who have installed or like me have or are thinking about installing a DVB-T would you mind answering the following:

- Is the Dietz 1491/1451 (silver box) combination a newer/updated version of the Dietz 1490/1450 combination (blue box). Functionally they appear to do the same thing but the 1491/1451 kit costs more so presumably is newer – am I right?
- Similarly would there be any benefit in terms of functionality/compatibility with the RNS-E is using 1491 versus 1490?
- Has anyone done this install on a 4B A6 … if so where did you install the tuner? In the boot/trunk? under the passenger seat? etc
- Million dollar question is it worth doing for the money or am I going to spend most of my time watching snow on a screen?

Instead what I have a preference at doing is installing a multi-media player as I think it will meet most of my visual entertainment needs (pre-recorded/downloaded movies, TV programmes, etc) … I’ve already got a Phatbox installed so don’t require the MP3 capabilities of a multi-media player. I’ve been looking at the new Rapsody RSH-300 with a 500GB IDE hard drive. Again for those people in the know can you answer the following:

- The rhapsody RSH-300 has the newer chipset and a few extra bells & whistles (e.g. HD play back) compared to the older RSH-100. The newer model costs a few pounds extra so I’m quite happy to pay for the features I just want to make sure it’s compatible and the extra features can be used with the RNS-E
- I actually think 500GB is too big for me personally (I only have 160GB on my home computer) but given the price of hard disks it seems worthwile going big for future proofing. I’m just curious as to what size disk other people have installed.
- Unfortunately the Rapsody units can’t be controlled directly from the RNS-E and requires a separate remote control. I guess the logical place is the glove compartment but can someone tell me if the remote requires clear line of sight to unit or is there sufficient signal strength to pass through the glovebox door.
- Presumably when connected to the RNS-E it will play across via one of the AV channels. Would I be correct to assume that I would still need the RNS-E recoding for video in motion should my passenger want to watch a movie whilst I’m driving?

And final question so thanks for keeping with me. To connect the Rapsody unit to the RNS-E I’m going to need a multi-media adapter. I would quite like to use a Dietz IMU unit in case I feel a burning desire to install the DVB-T at a future date then presumably it would be a simple plug and play affair. I’ve been struggling to find out if the Dietz IMU unit has analogue inputs (I know the DVB-T does) so can someone confirm if what I am proposing is possible or would I be better off using a regular multi-media adapter from Kufatec, ebay, navplus, etc.

Many thanks and sorry for such a long 1st post :oops: .

Richard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dietz DVB-T 1451/1491

I can probably help with some of the questions:

I have Dietz 1491/51 fitted in a B6 A4 Avant. The IMU (1451) I have behind the glovebox. The DVB-T (1491) is in the rear passenger side space behind the rear wheel.
The IMU takes one AV (RCA?:- the red/yellow/white plugs) input so you could connect anything up to it I guess.
If you connect AV and control cable (1478) between IMU and DVB-T you can control the DVB-T from RNS-E and you also then have 2 aux AV inputs on the DVB-T you can use (and switch between from the RNS-E).
In addition Dietz do a control cable (1479) to connect between IMU and a BOA DVD player which I believe also allows you to control DVD player from RNS-E. Not sure if it works with other DVDs. I don't have this so my DVD player is controlled by IR (but still feeds to screens via the DVB-T aux AV input)

As for digi TV reception: I live in an area where best transmitter reception changes if I travel a couple of miles.... Mendip transmitter is best outside my house but Wenvoe transmitter is better at my kids school about 2 miles away - I can see this from the way the TV aerials on the houses point too !
This foxed me a bit when I first set up the DVB-T. I searched and added all the channels from one transmitter and then drove a distance away and added channels from the other transmitter. So effectively I have each channel in there twice - BBC1 (Mendip) is channel 1 and BBC1 (Wenvoe) is something like ch 34. Not sure if this how it's supposed to work, but it's OK for me.

I don't have VIM enabled yet so swapping between transmitters doesn't cause me much grief when driving, and I also can't comment on what reception is like at speed. It sounds OK :) , and the kids haven't complained, but most of the time they are watching DVDs on rear screens anyway not TV.

I have the Dietz active antennae (x2) I don't know the part # off hand but 1496 rings a bell, they are about 1cm x 15cm. I initially had both of them in the rear quarterlight on the passenger side. Moving one to the driver side appeared to improve reception a bit. They're just perched in the windows, partially tucked in the trim.

I've seen some posts on here about using OEM aerials. I'm not sure if these are for dig/analog TV or whether they are the same for both. It sounds like it's a few aerial receiver things to swap out + maybe wiring too ... that's on my maybe list of things to do :roll:

All in all I'm happy with the DVB-T. It's not like watching telly in your house, but it's pretty good. As for whether it's worth it, I guess that's partly down to personal choice ..... I really like the fact it integrates so well with the RNS-E.

A lengthy reply to a lengthy post !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply Davy ... maybe I've been too quick to dismiss a DVB-T. I'll give it some further thought.

Rich.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts