Audi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come on some units the DSP menu is there and on others it is not.

For example, 2 A3 units, both 0360 SW.

One has the DSP menu, one doesn't.

Anyone?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you code it for Bose, DSP goes away. With Bose the AudioPilot is doing the DSP/GALA thing.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok ,well the one that doesn't have BOSE and isn't coded for BOSE does not have the GALA menu

In fact neither units are coded for BOSE

Go figure?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Ok, my bad, should have said coded for AudioPilot.

#56 - Adaptation - channel 008 (GALA)

000 - GALA off
001 - Charakteristik 1
002 - Charakteristik 2
003 - Charakteristik 3
004 - Charakteristik 4
005 - Charakteristik 5
255 - GALA via microphone (AudioPilot)

if you code 255, DSP disappears (AFAIK)

·
Registered
117 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
Ok, my bad, should have said coded for AudioPilot.

#56 - Adaptation - channel 008 (GALA)

000 - GALA off
001 - Charakteristik 1
002 - Charakteristik 2
003 - Charakteristik 3
004 - Charakteristik 4
005 - Charakteristik 5
255 - GALA via microphone (AudioPilot)

if you code 255, DSP disappears (AFAIK)
I was just loking at the code list and noticed this too...

·
Registered
63 Posts
So here's a question..
I have Bose and RNS-E but my RNS-E was changed under factory warranty before I owned the car.
I have Gala 1 thru 5 under DSP..

Should I have audio pilot and not gala?..
Got to admit I am not that impressed with the sound through Bose right now; maybe its because it was coded wrongly by the dealers?.

Help please!
thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
the911sc said:
So here's a question..
I have Bose and RNS-E but my RNS-E was changed under factory warranty before I owned the car.
I have Gala 1 thru 5 under DSP..

Should I have audio pilot and not gala?..
Got to admit I am not that impressed with the sound through Bose right now; maybe its because it was coded wrongly by the dealers?.

Help please!
thanks
Has the Bose been disabled by the dealer as per the TSB?

If not, then your dealer has coded it wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, I am a bit confused. I just installed an EU unit in my 2005 S4(US). Got it from PowerTony (who was totally awesome throughout the whole process). I had a Bose system and the AudioPilot noise cancellation with the Sympony II. With the new nav unit, I see the DSP selections. Should I be seeing them? Does this mean it is not set properly for my car? If not, what is coded incorrectly and how do I fix.

BTW, what are the DSP settings anyway?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There are two different areas to set up Bose. The first is part of the RNS-E coding where the 4th digit specifies the Sound Characteristic (9 for Bose, 1 to 5 for the different Audi models). The second one is under Adaptation, channel 008 where you set up GALA. 0 is GALA off, 1-5 are different GALA characteristics (the same as under DSP if you check the sound settings) and 255 is GALA via external microphone (which is the Bose Audio Pilot). If channel 008 is not set to 255 you will see the DSP menu.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Scotto said:
OK, I am a bit confused. I just installed an EU unit in my 2005 S4(US). Got it from PowerTony (who was totally awesome throughout the whole process). I had a Bose system and the AudioPilot noise cancellation with the Sympony II. With the new nav unit, I see the DSP selections. Should I be seeing them? Does this mean it is not set properly for my car? If not, what is coded incorrectly and how do I fix.

BTW, what are the DSP settings anyway?
You need to check that your adapter includes the Bose wire, and using VAG-Com check the coding of your RNS-E which should be something like 309111 (the 9 is what specifies Bose and disables the DSP option).

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So let me clarify....

If you have BOSE set Channel 8 to 255 and lose the DSP menu.

If you don't have BOSE, then set it to any value 0-5 and later adjust ot from the DSP menu

Do all BOSE systems have the audio pilot? what if you have an older car ?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
craigyb said:
So let me clarify....

If you have BOSE set Channel 8 to 255 and lose the DSP menu.

If you don't have BOSE, then set it to any value 0-5 and later adjust ot from the DSP menu

Do all BOSE systems have the audio pilot? what if you have an older car ?
Not all Bose have Audio Pilot, I think they introduced it in 2004 but I'm not sure about that.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if you don't have audio pilot, then you still need DSP/gala controlled by the speed pulse hence the menu.

I suspect my RS6 does not as my volume does not vary anymore and I have lost the DSP menu. I will VAG it later and see if I can get it back.

Craig

·
Registered
63 Posts
My ever helpful main dealer checked it for mr this morning and re coded it and it was set for Bose. The main dealers obviously dont use vag com but the audi coding computer which actually guides technicians through what the settings should be.. Seemingly, the settings are correct for my car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
new to all this.... can someone give me a brief run down as to what DSP is and GALA and what setting I should use on my RNS-E.

right now i have it on off... it was on leval 3

cheers,

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
2EURO said:
new to all this.... can someone give me a brief run down as to what DSP is and GALA and what setting I should use on my RNS-E.

right now i have it on off... it was on leval 3

cheers,
DSP is an enhanced form of GALA (speed dependent volume increase) that also makes some changes to the frequency response too. The higher the number the more the volume will increase with speed.

What settting should you use? That's a "how long is a piece of string" question! The aim is that the signal from the RNS-E (radio, CD, MP3) sounds "as loud" to you when you are driving as it does when you are stopped. So on a smooth road you need a lower setting than on a rough road.

AudioPilot includes a microphone so it can take into account the increase in interior noise from all sources and increase the volume, and change the frequency response, accordingly.

My 2003 S4 had the pre-AudioPilot Bose and even with GALA set to max I kept having to increase the volume when driving on rough roads (and reducing it when I stopped or went back onto a smooth road). In my 2004 S4 which has got AudioPilot Bose I don't have to do that, but I do have the "AudioPilot goes wrong on hot days" problem - where the microphone can't cope with the high temperatures inside the car from parking on a hot sunny day and for the first few minutes of a drive the volume is up and down dramatically (some people find that so bad that there is an official Audi TSB which disables AudioPilot - and re-enables DSP!).

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
If my RNS-E is coded: 0311716 I don't find fault codes but, as I have Bose I coded: 0319716 and now Vag-com give this:
Address 37: Navigation
Part No: 8E0 035 192 C
Component: RNS-E HIGH EU H50 0360
Coding: 0319716
Shop #: WSC 28100
1 Faults Found:
02005 - Coding PIN
004 - No Signal/Communication
I can have GALA on or off but loudness doesn't change if I adapt with "255" GALA disappears but my car is a '02 and there isn't Audiopilot .... With DSP on at level 3/5 something change in Equalization but very little difference....What to do??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts