Audi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a way to downgrade the software on the RNS-E without hacking DVDs or doing other fancy things. All you need is a VAG-COM (or a friendly dealer). This may be of help in case you have accidentally upgraded to the 0330+ Euro software (and don't have a 2005_1 or newer DVD) or have otherwise the need to revert to an older version of the software.

To downgrade the software, have an older DVD ready and follow the steps listed below:
- remove the DVD
- connect with VAG-COM to #37
- set channel 97 to 1 and save the value
- exit VAG-COM
- insert the old DVD that contains the software you want to downgrade to
- wait until the RNS-E finishes the update (starts a few seconds after inserting the DVD, will reboot twice and then power off)
- connect with VAG-COM to #37 channel 97 and save the value of 0

Please note that this will not allow you to change the region (US to Euro or Euro to US). To use a Euro RNS-E in the US you will first need to load the US software using a higher sofidx and then downgrade the software using the US DVD with sw 0020 or 0110.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Very good to know - thanks for posting!

·
Registered
515 Posts
i'm not even going to ask how you figured that out!!!...

interestingly i was thinking about downgrading my software to get the "along the route" feature back (removed in US-0110) for my upcoming roadtrip from LA to Denver, but it has been reported (by Lee i believe) that "along the route" doesnt really work..

it only finds things on the actual road you are driving on -- when you are on the freeway or interstate everything is just off the route..

thanks Dirk!!..

·
Registered
155 Posts
fritzner said:
interestingly i was thinking about downgrading my software to get the "along the route" feature back (removed in US-0110)
what's the difference there... you mean the icons that come up but disappear with the brake down?

·
Registered
114 Posts
fritzner said:
i'm not even going to ask how you figured that out!!!...

interestingly i was thinking about downgrading my software to get the "along the route" feature back (removed in US-0110) for my upcoming roadtrip from LA to Denver, but it has been reported (by Lee i believe) that "along the route" doesnt really work..

it only finds things on the actual road you are driving on -- when you are on the freeway or interstate everything is just off the route..

thanks Dirk!!..
You can always use "Route with stopover" to get similar functionality. When selecting the stopover use "In the vicinity".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Firmware upgrade

Hi!

I have an RNS E EU unit. Worked with a 2005 DVD.
But I tryed to upgrade firmware with a new 2006 DVD from audi TT, and now always ask for firmware DVD...

I cannot set the value=1 at the chanel 97 because not permitted.
The diagnostic tool say: control module defect.

How can i reset the original status?

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What part number is your RNS-E? There is no RNS-E in a TT, what part number is on the label of the DVD? What is the exact message you get on the RNS-E screen? What did you use to set channel 97 to 1 and how exactly did you try to do this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The end of the part number is 192P. This is on the S6, but not original radio...maybe from an A3.
The new audi TT roadster will come out with RNS-E navi.
The original dvd part number is 8P0 919 884 B and the new is 8P0 919 884 K

I tryed to set adapt chanel 97 to 1 for allowing the firmware downgrade, but value not accepted...

Error masseges on the screen: "Bitte Systemsoftware-CD einlegen" (please insert the firmware CD"

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it says "Bitte Systemsoftware-CD einlegen" or "Please insert System CD", remove the DVD or CD that is currently in the drive and wait a few seconds. It will usually continue to complete the second part of the software update (without any CD/DVD in the drive) and the screen should say "Updating System Software" or so. Only after the second part finished and the unit rebooted a second time the software update is complete.

Once the update is complete try again to access channel 97. You will need to use a registered version of VAG-COM to do so, unregistered shareware versions won't work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The firmware update already completted succesfully at the first time. We wait until the second part finished...
We use original VAS 5052 tool for this operation.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In all cases when I got the "Bitte Systemsoftware-CD einlegen" message, removing the DVD caused the RNS-E to continue after a few seconds with the second part of the update. And the only time you cannot access the RNS-E with VAG-COM or similar is while it's doing the first part of the update. Even with the second part still updating I was able to connect with VAG-COM to the RNS-E.

You can try to remove the DVD, cut power for a few seconds and then plug it back in to see what happens. If it's not doing the first part of the update (the one with the progress bar) you should be able to connect with your VAS. If it doesn't continue or if you can still not connect, the main board may be damaged.

Did you try to connect you VAS to another RNS-E to confirm that the VAS is working and exclude the possibility of K-line issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks! Problem solved.
I disconnected the radio for few second and when put back the connector, the update been resumed...

Regards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I found a friendly dealer to help me do the downgrade for my Euro converted to US RNS-E, having the 0330 firmware. We went into #37 Navigation with VAS 5052, selected adaptation 12, then selected CH 97 and set it to 1, than exit out? It give us a massage, not permitted, but when we went back again it is on 1.We tried to do this, but don't do anything. Am I missing something? The software version shows X---, wont show the 0330 since the change over to US firmware.
Can you please help me what to do, because I would like to have the 0200 US firmware installed, to use with the latest MAP.
Thanks,
Zizike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Worked as you described! :D
Thanks for the quick reply and for the solution!
Thank You All in this forum and special thanks for AudiA4B6US and Boston Driver! :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm Confused...need help!

Hello!
I'm from Sweden, and I find it very confusing with all SW versions and SOFIDX's, the more I read the worse it gets ;)
I've got a unit from Ebay which was supposed to be a Euro (D) unit.
But when I always get the "insert DVD" with both my 2006 and 2007 EURO DVD's.
my engineering mode says:
:-----------------------------------------
System SW index: X---
HW Index: H50
Map Database Index:
HU/Navi SW version: V222029F
Boot Version: V220100D
Audio SW Version: A2220138-190906
Serial: AUZB27D.......
Has it been flashed to US version?

Cut from the 2007 Euro DVD's index.txt
SOFIDX:0600
NAVVER:V220073E
AUDVER:A2210138

What do I need to do to get it to accept my Euro DVD?
If anyone could give me a step by step, I'd be most grateful!
The radio is working fine, though I don't get any info in the DIS, and the steering wheel buttons don't work.
Any way to fix that?

I have Vag-Com.

Thanks in advance!
/Tony

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: I'm Confused...need help!

TonyS said:
What do I need to do to get it to accept my Euro DVD?
If anyone could give me a step by step, I'd be most grateful!
AudiA4B6US said:
The US to Euro convesion works the same way as the Euro to US conversion, it's even easier because you don't need a VAG-COM until you start configuring the car for Europe. take a look at the quick links and read the Euro to US conversion topic at http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4098&postorder=asc&start=35. For the US to Euro conversion you need use a Euro DVD 2005 or older (up to Euro sofidx 0160) and take the software from that DVD. Replace V220 with V222 wherever the instructions say to replace V222 with V220. Also use a Softidx of 210, this will work with whatever US software you have currently loaded. Once the Euro software got loaded insert a 2006 or higher Euro DVD. The US RNS-E will update again and reboot twice. After reboting twice everything will be Euro spec.

TonyS said:
The radio is working fine, though I don't get any info in the DIS, and the steering wheel buttons don't work.
Any way to fix that?

I have Vag-Com.
You will need to recode the car using your VAG cable so that it understands you have MFSW + options

Look under QuickLinks ... great link provided for VAG CODING also has an external link to another source for coding info.

HTH

btw I stole that post from AudiA4B6US after doing a simple search on this site for US to EU conversion.

Although your unit is stuck in "mix mode" between EU and US it "should" help you. Don't forget to clcik the link to get more detailed information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: I'm Confused...need help!

Thanks for quick respons Dadeepman!

Dadeepman said:
You will need to recode the car using your VAG cable so that it understands you have MFSW + options.
I have done that, I have 21 in that channel(62)was 17 before...still doeesn't work :( maybe it will get sorted when/IF I get the Nav working?

Dadeepman said:
Look under QuickLinks ... great link provided for VAG CODING also has an external link to another source for coding info.

HTH

btw I stole that post from AudiA4B6US after doing a simple search on this site for US to EU conversion.

Although your unit is stuck in "mix mode" between EU and US it "should" help you. Don't forget to clcik the link to get more detailed information.
OK so what I need is a DVD <2005 or atleast the 5 files from one...where can I get my hands on those?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts