Audi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bad can that be?

I like the fact that it can follow my current position around if I do. What I don't like is if leaving it in for so long could cause it to breakdown sooner than later? I know when I leave my CD/DVD in a drive on my PC for a long time (albeit a few years), it eventually dies.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'm using my backup in the car and the original is stored in a safe place at home...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AudiA4B6US said:
I'm using my backup in the car and the original is stored in a safe place at home...
Ah.. the NAV disc is not what I'm worried about... I'm more worried about the NAV UNIT burning out :)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Sorry, misunderstood your question. IIRC, the RNS-E does not continuesly access the disk like an audio player does. It reads some data and then idles until it needs more data. Besides that, I would say the Nav unit is designed to have a disk in its drive all the time (that's its main purpose).
Reading all those messages about the CD Nav+ units, it looks like it should last at least 3-4 years. On the boards which focus on the RNS-D, people complaining about read errors have usually units build in 2001 or earlier. And the new RNS-E has its drive slot pretty well sealed behind the display, not much risk to get to much dirt in there (unless you constantly swap the disks).
I think we will be fine...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts