Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I am looking to install a Pioneer AVIC-D2 nav system..BUT I am told that our sharkfin GPS antenna will not work with these units. Is this REALLY true??? If so are there other aftermarket systems that will work with the stock antenna? The absolute last thing I will ever do to this car is put another antenna on it. Any help would be much appreciated.

-Graham

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I would get a FAKRA extension cable and try to get a plug that fits the Pioneer head unit. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Since many of us have the GPS antenna under the dashboard behind the instrument cluster, you shuld always have a backup path to go. What GPS antenna does the Pioneer come with?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The pioneer systems use a very tiny magnetic GPS antenna. The thing is, it uses a reverse FAKRA plug... meaning the nav unit has the female plug and the antenna has the male plug. In order to connect this to your Audi antenna, you would need a FAKRA extension cable with a female end to connect to your Audi antenna, and a male end to connect to the pioneer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So in theory then...I can buy some connectors and splice them together and make the Pioneer system work with the stock antenna? (BTW you guys are being a great help :D )

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Drfatz said:
So in theory then...I can buy some connectors and splice them together and make the Pioneer system work with the stock antenna? (BTW you guys are being a great help :D )
No guarantees but that should work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that it is not the most beautiful thing...but when all is said and done its less money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts