Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
It´s been a while since I retrofitted my RNS-E and ever since it´s been working like a dream. I just wondered if the recoding and VAG-COM:ing that I read alot about is necessary? I have a euro-C / H44 -unit and the red DIS. Obviously I don´t get the nav instructions in the cluster but thats just fine with me since I´ve read that with the red DIS you have to switch the RNS-E off and on to retrieve that info. I´m better off with just the mp3 and radio info presented and that function works just fine. Am I missing out on something else if I don´t hook it up with a cpu and do some coding and will I get a lot of fault-codes when I drop it off at Audi for the next service if I don´t VAG it?

(It´s really been plug and play. It just worked instantly :shock: )

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you got your RNS-E from a reliable source that coded it for your car before you got it, there is nothing you miss. You will have some faults logged in #17 and #37/#56 from when the radio got disconnected and the RNS-E got connected. But they should easily clear and not come back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks,
I wouldn´t say may source was a reliable one and he or she(?) for sure didn´t know what car I had. I simply bought an A4-unit off eBay, installed it and to my surprise it just worked. Could it really be that simple?....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Assuming the RNS-E was already coded correctly for your setup, the only thing you are really 'missing' is the instrument cluster (DIS) coding. This could be done by the dealership at the next service by recoding section 17, channel 62 (+4 to your current value to add Navigation commands to the DIS).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.