Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I start off, usually while in traffic, I have to press the select button to clear the stupid disclaimer screen..

I simple attempt to switch music sources becomes Press (nothing happens) look at screen, see the disclaimer is up, reach across, press the button, then press the music source button a second time.
The disclaimer screen is going to get me killed.
They could at least make it self-cleaing, like it is on my GPS..

·
Registered
209 Posts
What I don't understand is...why not have it when you go into Navigation mode?

Is it really needed for the SD/CD and radio functions? You don't see cars which don't have Navigation but have CD/FM stereos with a disclaimer screen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HX_Guy said:
What I don't understand is...why not have it when you go into Navigation mode?

Is it really needed for the SD/CD and radio functions? You don't see cars which don't have Navigation but have CD/FM stereos with a disclaimer screen.
Just bring it up if you go into any of the complex screens. Anyting that takes a single button press shouldn't require responding to a warning.

I just wrote Audi about this, what should be a one, or two step process (glance, press) becomes several looks and three presses.
(As I told them, I've never sued anyone in my life, but if I have an accident while clearing their stupid distraction screen, I may make an exception.. )

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'm not sure what exactly you are talking about but I don't get the disclaimer when I'm in motion and switch between radio, cd, mp3 and navi. Only when I try to enter a new address while in motion I get the navi disclaimer. And the power on disclaimer of course.

Are you saying to get more than those two? What software are you using?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
I'm not sure what exactly you are talking about but I don't get the disclaimer when I'm in motion and switch between radio, cd, mp3 and navi. Only when I try to enter a new address while in motion I get the navi disclaimer. And the power on disclaimer of course.

Are you saying to get more than those two? What software are you using?
I'm talking about the initial power-up screen. After starting, my attention is on getting underway, not the NAV screen.
Most times, I don't notice it until I decide to change stations or source, as long as 30 minutes after I started the car.
Then, I'm forced to press clear, and the original button over again, just because Audi's lawyers want me to.

If the distraction screen cleared itself after 30 seconds, I'd probably never see it, and I wouldn't have to mess with it while underway.

I'm thinking of an add-on hardware solution. If the select switch contacts are accessable enough to solder wires to them, I could build a timer circuit that creates a button press about 15 seconds after power-up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
audi's lawyers aren't to blame - people who sue are to blame. the warning is simply a CYA by Audi and frankly without knowing the technical capabilities inherent in making the warning specific only to the navigation part of the system starting up, I would probably have designed it to do the same thing if it were my company. how hard can it really be to clear the warning when you start the car and before you start rolling? a recent search on audizine is enough to suggest that this warning will never go away. there's at least one idiot over there who wants to have the ability to watch dvds on the screen, or ipod music videos while the car is moving...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sfoperator said:
how hard can it really be to clear the warning when you start the car and before you start rolling? ...
Not too hard. When I start the car, and put the belt on, I'll poke the button if I notice it. If, on the other hand, if I just don't notice it before I drive away, then I end up having to clear it while underway.

I just find a similar situation with the "eye candy" animated screen transitions. If I'm in audio playback and want to bring up the map, I'd like to just press NAV, immediately followed by MAP to do it. Instead, I have to press NAV, then wait for a second with mi finger over the MAP button, until the transition finishes playing before I can press the button.
They seem to have designed this thing to be distracting as possible.
But, they don't need to make it less distracting, since they have our disclaimer acknowledgement presses recorded to protect them from any claims their poorly-designed UI may generate.)

(I can't imagine why anyone would even THINK of watching TV while driving, let alone spend money and time to enable it.)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think you might be nit-picking a little too much. :)

While I also think the warning screen is annoying, it's not that big of a deal. I usually forget to press it right when I start driving, but it's just a simple push of a big button.

As for the NAV then MAP situation, I've never seen that as a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.