Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to get a digital out on the RNS-E? Obviously not avaible on the external connectors, but most modern units have a digital out internally on the board that has not been utilized.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow..real friendly arround these parts :roll:

did some searches and a few hours of reading and since i did't find anything obvious I thought I would ask.

Is this sarcasm (everyone has already figured this out) or is there no interest?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Several people have, like you, assumed that even though there isn't a digital output on an external connector there must be one internally.

However, that's not necessarily true. Since the RNS-E uses an LCD panel it's quite possible that all that's available internally is the signals to drive that particular LCD panel - and not generic digital signals.

I guess nobody wants to possibly break their RNS-E by finding out.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Not being sarcastic...just never heard anyone ask that question before. I do think Dave is right...there will be very few people willing to take apart their RNS-E to do this type of tinkering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay...no problem. To clarify, I am refering to a digital out for the audio signal, not the video. Understandable that no one wants to break open their $$$ unit.

does anyone know the oem for the unit? (alpine, panisonic and blau have been popular)

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
ATB said:
okay...no problem. To clarify, I am refering to a digital out for the audio signal, not the video. Understandable that no one wants to break open their $$$ unit.

does anyone know the oem for the unit? (alpine, panisonic and blau have been popular)
AFAIK thereis no digital audio. Even if there were I doubt it would be of much use - the AM/FM radio is analogue (the audio from the SAT radio is connected via the CD changer input, which is analogue) - so the only audio within the RNS-E in digital form is the navigation instructions and the MP3 from the SD cards and the DVD player (which will normally have the navigation DVD loaded). So a digital audio output will be of very limited functionality.

The RNS-E is manufactured in Japan by Aisin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.