Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello!

i am thinking buying an rns e unit from an a6 in order to install it in my audi!

i am a little confused!

as i know the navi with part number 4B0035192P is an rns e unit!although i found this in ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Navigationssyste...ryZ76082QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

it says on the start up logo mmi!
is this an rns e unit or mmi?
are there any differences between rnse and mmi?
can i buy it?

and somethig more?

how can i upgrade the firmware of the unit?
is there any special cd?

thank you!!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The RNS-E is using the MMI user interface but it is itself not a MMI system. Only the systems in the A6 C6, A8 D3 and Q7 are MMI systems. The 4B0 RNS-E is the right unit for an A6 C5.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
The RNS-E is using the MMI user interface but it is itself not a MMI system. Only the systems in the A6 C6, A8 D3 and Q7 are MMI systems. The 4B0 RNS-E is the right unit for an A6 C5.
so i can buy it!right?

and how can i upgrade the firmware of the navi?

do i have to buy any special cd?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm really confused as to the differences between RNS-E and MMI.

On the one side, the new A6 has replaced the previous model's RNS-E with the MMI which, together with the use of MMI in the high end A8, would suggest this is the newer, superior unit which will totally replace the RNS-E over time. Is this correct?

On the other hand, the latest B7 A4 still uses the RNS-E, although this was merely a facelift and not a totally new model which could explain it.

The MMI is obviously a superior unit to the RNS-E but what exactly does it do that the RNS-E doesn't? I'm just curious really.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
s3225hp said:
so i can buy it!right?

and how can i upgrade the firmware of the navi?

do i have to buy any special cd?
The 4B0 035 192P will fit an A6 C5. Each navigation DVD contains the firmware and will automatically initiate an update if when you insert the DVD the first time (exception: cross region updates).

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Vertigo1 said:
I'm really confused as to the differences between RNS-E and MMI.

On the one side, the new A6 has replaced the previous model's RNS-E with the MMI which, together with the use of MMI in the high end A8, would suggest this is the newer, superior unit which will totally replace the RNS-E over time. Is this correct?

On the other hand, the latest B7 A4 still uses the RNS-E, although this was merely a facelift and not a totally new model which could explain it.

The MMI is obviously a superior unit to the RNS-E but what exactly does it do that the RNS-E doesn't? I'm just curious really.
The upcoming A5 and 2008 A4 (based on the B8 platform) are rumored to get the MMI from the A6/A8/Q7.

It's easy to determine if a car has the MMI or the RNS-E: If the display, DVD drive and controls are all in the same location then it's an RNS-E. if the controls are seperate from the display and DVD drive then it's the MMI.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What is the real difference?

MMI just looks like a repackaged RNS-E. So thta the controls can be mounted in the console.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
MMI is based on a fiber optic network of separate parts.

RNS-E is a single unit that operates over the wire CANbus.

The MMI screen displays many functions of the car (Entertainment, HVAC, etc).

The RNS-E screen only displays entertainment functions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts