Audi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to hook up Dietz 1417 and the 1280 to an Audiovox 400A. I just got power to the dvd player but when hooking up the 1417 the TV option doesnt even show on the RNS-e ( not even trying with the 1280 yet because i get no sound at all when the 1280 is in, i dunno if im not doing somehthing for that or what, but for now I just want the 1417 to work with the DVD player. So what am I missing? I have power to the dvd player, do I need power to the adapter as well? If so how?, there are 2 wires on each end of the adapter that are out and unused, are these for power and ground? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you have the original Dietz 1417, the black wire is ground and the red wire is 12V+. The green and white are CAN high/low (forgot which one is which), if they are not connected or swapped you won't see anything. Leave the 1280 out until you got the 1417 working.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea thats what Im trying to do, I have the no name brand one, it just says audi multimedia, there are black and red wires out near the box that has the Video input and then yellow and green on the other side like the one here: http://www.navparts.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=169
Am i supposed to do anything with the yellow and green ones? Where do those go? I now know that the red and black are 12V and ground, so can i put those where I put the dvd power cables? ( the dvd power cables are attached to the red and brown cables in the RNS-E harness, by cutting the wires wrapping the dvd players power and ground onto the red and brown and wrapping it with electrical tape, can I do the same for those red and black on the 1417, and again where do the yellow and green wires go?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The other two wires are CAN high/low, don't know which one is which though butyou can simply trial and error. Once you get the TV entry under Source you know you got the right combination. If you have your DVD player connecetd to the red/brown wire in the RNS-E adapter, doesn't your battery run flat? Those are permanent 12V and unless you turn you DVD player off otherwise it will always draw current from there. Don't know about the AV adapter, if it's smart it will turn itself off if it doesn't see ignition over CAN. But I wouldn't assume this unless the seller confirm it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I turn the dvd player off manually, im very new to this type of install, so Im just trying to do whatever I can to get it working, maybe eventually Ill go back and fix that, but for now turning it off is fine by me. I appreciate your quick responses. Thing is I dont know where the Can high and low are supposed to go. Ive searched through all of the faq's and they dont seem to detail which wire is which, they are kinda like "then i connected the 1417 to the RNS-E adapter and tucked it neatly behind the radio." So where are the high/low CAN wires i need to connect the yellow and green to?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks to your help and NSX's diagram, I have the DVD player working. Theres only one problem, there is slight distortion in the video, i think its the way I powered the adapter, I did it the same way i powered the dvd player, by attaching it directly to the power wire (red) and ground (brown) on the RNS-E harness. So is that a possibility for causing distortion? Problem number 2 is I dont know what to do with the 1280, as is just connecting it, there is no sound, how am I supposed to get sound? There are no connectors in the 1280 adapter itself for the sound. What am I missing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I took care of the distortion, now the picture is fine. I still dont know what to do with the video in motion adapter. All of the instructions and tutorials are for the 1280 and I have the one from this site. http://www.navparts.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=169
I connect it, and the unit works fine, but no sound, and I do notice there are connectors missing on the video in motion adapter. What am I supposed to do to get the connectors for the speakers on the video in motion adapter which doesnt have them?[/i]

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Looking at the picture you need to move the green, blue and brown plug in the RNS-E adapter over to the video in motion adapter. It looks like it's plug and play but has only the wires in connector D. If you don't move connector A/B/C the wires are missing and you get no sound, no CD changer and so on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea but wouldnt it still not work, because dont you need the connectors in the RNS-E harness as well to send the signal or w/e through to the video in motion or no? And how do I remove these pieces, any special way or do I just pry/push them out?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cant remove the connectors for the speakers from the RNS-E harness without breaking it, is there any special way to take them out? I really need to figure this out so I can install the video in motion adapter. Everything else is working perfectly, just I cant figure out this damn adapter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still have yet to get this working and would really like to have it setup by the weekend for a little road trip that me and my buddies are taking. Can someone please explain what I need to do with this adapter to get the connectors off of it and into the video in motion adapter so that i can have sound?

·
Registered
172 Posts
You need to find someone that has pin extractor tools to get the wires out of the harness adaptor. There is a picture of what the tool looks like in TeddyBGame's install post which you can find on NSX JR's download page.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts