Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding it harder to source the Dietz 1417 right now in Europe.

I'm wondering if there is a better alternative now?

I'm hooking up a Mac Mini to the RNS-E in a 2000 S4 (B5).

Basically am just looking for a way to get Video in Motion and hooking up the Mac Mini via the RCA's.

Cheers, Rich.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There are other options out there...Dietz is not the only one that makes a MM adaptor for the RNS-E, and I think they are getting harder and harder to find (maybe they stopped making them?). Regardless, the one that comes with Proxus' MM kit is pretty nice, but I am not sure if it available for retail sale anywhere else. Just search RNS-E DVD on eBay Germany and you'll see a few other choices.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am i right in thinking that I need the 1417 to enable Video in motion?

Maybe not on the B5???

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The 1417 has nothing to do with VIM. For VIM you need a 1280 or cut the speed wire (only possible in the B5 and C5 with the same effect: Navigation doesn't work that well anymore) or get your RNS-E recoded for VIM (which allows to use navigation and watch a video at the same time).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i need a 1417 AND a 1280?

Or will a 1280 suffice.

I thought i knew about all this, it's confusing...

·
Registered
124 Posts
You need a 1417 and a VIM unlock

That would be the best way to go altough people on this forum sell "equivalent" adapters to the 1417 - proxus and scott at rivalmotorsports come to mind.

I do have a question - why a mac mini? How to plan to control it? An RF remote???? Salling Clicker???

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think a VIM unlock could be a pain, sending the unit away etc.

I'm in Europe so i think ordering from the states would be more expensive.

Do you know if I *could* use a 1417 & a 1280 (is the 1282 an updated version??)

The mac mini because it's cheap and it comes with a program called 'front row' and a remote. The remote allows you to play (from the mac mini) DVD's, DIV X movies & also iTunes with album display, pretty slick.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That is exactly the same module that comes with Proxus' Multimedia Kit. However, the confusing thing is the video-in-motion reference in that listing. To my knowledge, it is not possible unless you add the 1280, cut the GALA wire for speed signal, or have the RNS-E reprogrammed for video-in-motion (which goes for about $100 or so depending on which vendor you use).

Regardless, that is a good device for multimedia.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Where are you in Europe? There are people from this forum doing VIM unlocking in UK and Netherlands, there are plenty of sellers on ebay.de for unlocking in Germany and there is one guy in Spain who can do the unlocking.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm from the UK but currently living in France, I don't really want to post off the unit to be honest but maybe I'll consider it, thanks for the tip.

Can anyone confirm 100% that the unit http://www.navparts.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=169 does not allow VIM, if it doesn't I'm going to ask them to change the description because it's very misleading.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
tractorman said:
As it states, it includes the VIM adapter, so your getting the 2 things you need to make it work.
But with the VIM adapter instead of VIM coding, your navigation will NOT work properly when you have VIM turned on (with the adapter you have to switch VIM on when needed - so you will need to find a place to fit a VIM on/off switch).

The VIM adapter removes the CAN speed signal - which makes VIM work - BUT, by removing the speed signal it also makes the navigation position updates slow and irregluare (one user has reported updates only every few MINUTES with a VIM adapter).

If you want VIM AND fully working navigation, then VIM coding is the ONLY way to achieve it. No extra switch, no broken navigation - sorry but for me it's a "no brainer".

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers Dave.

So in effect the VIM adaptor is the same as not connecting my GALA wire (i have a B5).

Think the best route is to install without the GALA wire and get the unit recoded when I return to the Uk?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts