Audi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to double check a few things.

I ordered a connector to go from the RSN-E to my 2000 Audi S4 with Bose/CD/Tel etc.

There are only 2 plugs on the connector. (basically just a Y plug 1 into 2).

My Symphony I had 4 plugs going into it.

So far my CDC plug does not seem to work and I just discovered that some of my speakers don't work. (never a problem with the Symphony I).

Do I have to go re-wire the whole damn adapter myself? Do I have ll the plugs that it needs? What was I paying for?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Sounds like you got a connector for BOSE but without TEL.

We can help you out much more if you post a picture of your harness.

Your brown 8-pin connector in your car does not need to be used since you have the BOSE system.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay. I went out to the car. Pulled the unit out to take pictures (which I will upload here in a bit)

It was VERY obvious that I have the wrong connector now. I am more than a little pissed at this right now. I triple checked when I ordered it AND sent a message along with the order asking to double check the order to make sure it was correct for a RSN-E to a 2000 Audi S4 WITH BOSE/TEL/CDC.

The TEL plug is obviously missing altogether as is the wiring for the CDC. I also suspect that it is not wired correctly for my Bose since I get static in one speaker and not music. (which was not a problem before)

I have sent emails to the company to see if we can get the right connector without trouble. I will post back on the results.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Some companies have been supplying these adapters for over a year now - since before this forum was live - and STILL they get basic things wrong like missing connectors, missing wires, wires to the wrong pins.

Is it that they just don't understand what the adapter wiring should be AND don't listen to the feedback that WE give them about their mistakes?

Personally I don't understand WHY we have to specify Bose/CDC/TEL - why don't they just sell one adapter PROPERLY wired? Then if you've got Bose, you just remove the unwanted speaker connector to save space... OK so at first thought it might cost them more in parts, but they would only need to make one adapter so they could get cost savings from increased volumes - which they might get right! AND we could add CDC and/or TEL at a later date without having to rework or replace the adapter.

Here endeth the rant!! Sorry.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I agree with dave. Certainly, one adapter can be made for the Symphony II cars... with a simple note on the front speaker connector that says (N/A with BOSE).

The Symphony I cars are a bit trickier because they don't have a BOSE pin in the car, so it must be properly wired within the hanress.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the vendor(Euro-Parts) jumped right on it and has a new one shipping to me already. They deserve praise for the promt and problem free customer service.

I totally agree that there should only be one harness that incorporates ALL the features. I really can't imagine anyone that is willing to take the time to retrofit a NAV not wanting to add at least an ipod/cd/phatbox.

Just seems like it would make business easier for everyone.

No messed up orders, no confustion about which one to get, no having to rewire later to add stuff, etc.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes, obviously missing the CD changer wires as well... those would be on the "bottom" portion of the red harness plug... with the bottom being the portion closest to the viewpoint of the photo.

Also, when you get your new harness... you'll have to connect your CDC GND wire manually. There is no official CDC GND connection on the RNS-E.

·
Registered
996 Posts
personally.....I like the harnesses that Lanny (Euro Parts) sells. The power/ground are the right gauge...and the quality of the male and female pins are better. I only wish the length of the wire were 4" longer.

I'm going to pull apart the harness that Lanny sent me and reinsert all the pins/wires into the OEM quadlock. The OEM quadlock has the appropriate pin styles for connectors A and D....and removable connectors B and C.

I'm just being anal....so I thought I'd swap them around while my RNS-E is pulled out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I had a big "DUH" when I yanked the unit back out to look. The CDC Changer wires should have been REALLY REALLY obvious to me since I hardwired the "wire-tunes" ipod connector to the original harness.

Thanks for pointing out the ground wire. I figured if I could get a fairly good picture of the wires I would learn something there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
and of course.... if you don't get the plug B on some of the adapter i have seen, you dont get a K Line fitted so you can't code your nav......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts