Audi Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know its a little early, but I saw this http://www.diceelectronics.com/hd_integration.htm

And since I'm getting ready to install the BT module, I'm trying to figure out my wiring harness, I'm not really interested in getting SAT radio as I'm not ready to "pay" for radio. But I am interested in HD radio, which has no subscription fee. So I noticed that DICE is comming out with a HD radio integration kit.

"The DICE HD Radio® Integration Kit will soon be available for: Audi, Acura, BMW, Honda, Lexus, Mini, Mazda, Mercedes, Scion, Toyota, Volkswagen and more.. Availability is expected in March. Call now to get on our waiting list!"

OK lets ignore the fact that its June already :)

Their diagram (in the link above) shows the the FM-RDS plugging into the CD changer port. So my question is, would I be able to plug that into the passthrough that is on the rear mounted CD changer? I have a 2005 allroad that had factory installed RNS-E and the CD changer mounted in the back and its prewired for SAT, can I just use this DICE module in place of the SAT radio?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The CD changer port is the only port for audio in but it doesn't do any kind of text. Therefore Audi added communication via CAN to their OEM SAT modules. Those SAT modules are using the CD changer port for audio in but use CAN to control the SAT receiver and get text back to the head unit.

I haven't seen any details about the DICE kit but there are two possible ways they could use. If that kit emulates a CD changer you would control the box like a CD changer and see only track 1, 2, ... on CD 1,2,...,6 on the Audi head unit. If it emulates a SAT receiver you could probably see the station/song/artist info in the same as as you can today with the OEM SAT receiver.

I guess you will have to wait for more documentation (or the actual kit) to become available before you can answer your question. But since the HF signal is not available at the OEM SAT receiver, I doubt that it wil be a simple plug and play upgrade. I'm sure you could get the HF signal from the diversity module and route it through the DICE HD module but that still means to remove the trim and find the diversity module first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.