Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the I20-AUDI-R iceLink kit from BestBuy yesterday. Looking at the wiring harness included with this kit, it appears obvious why this harness will not work with your built-in Sirius or XM.

The iceLink'a harness plugs directly into the RNS-E's 'Connector I' connection. It then has two outputs. One that is partially in-line to connect to the car's normal 'Connector I' plus and one for the iceLink adapter. 'Connector I' is the red plug with the 20 male pins. Only pins 1-12 are populated for the in-line portion. Pins 13-20 are not populated and must be responsible for getting the Sirius or XM connected to the RNS-E.

In the installation guide of this unit, it specifically says an optional wiring kit is necessary if you have built-in Satellite radio. I have opened a support case with Dension to determine what this is and the cost.

If anyone has an alternative harness or suggestions I would appreciate some details. I will let you know if Dension responds to my request.

If you do not have satellite radio, the iceLink appears to be very easy to install. There is a black ground wire that needs to be connected but I have no idea how to do that.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Search for IceLink and SAT here and you will find a couple of post on how to modify the wiring to keep both. It's working fine for me (XM+IceLink). And the black wire is the CDC ground wire. If not connected to ground you IceLink won't work at all.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1757 describes how I did it. There are other ways to do it without the plug I used but at the end you have to extend the 3 audio wires from the IceLink to the SAT receiver in the trunk and connect the remaining 6 data/power wires directly to connector I in your car.

This is Connector I how it was in my car before I installed the IceLink wires:

As you can see, only 18/19/20 are used for the SAT audio wires. Pin 10 and 13-17 are empty. You have now two options. The first option is to build a plug and play harness like this one that gives you a new, unpopulated Connector I where you can simply plug in your IceLink harness without loosing anything:

The other option is to remove the wires 13 to 20 from the female plug the IceLink comes with (the one that connects to the head unit) and insert wire 13 to 17 into the same position on the existing Connector I coming form the car. If there is a wire in position 10, that wire must be moved also. The remaining 3 audio wires must be extended to back where the SAT receiver is located:

Read my original post about how to get to the plug at the SAT receiver, eventually you have to insert the wires as shown below:

In any case make sure that pin 10 is properly grounded. In my RNS-E harness I had the ground wire but I have seen many adapters that come without one. And you IceLink may come if a black or brown wire that is supposed to get connected to ground, that's the magic pin 10 wire.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not want to run new wires back to the Satellite Receiver located in the trunk. I'd rather to get a new wiring harness so I can keep everything behind the dash.

Is there anyone who can help me with that? How much?

I have some digital pictures of the harness that came with the Dension equipment. I will need to send it via regular email so PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Thanks,
Geoff

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
gsteever said:
I do not want to run new wires back to the Satellite Receiver located in the trunk. I'd rather to get a new wiring harness so I can keep everything behind the dash.
If you want satellite radio AND iPOD then you HAVE to run wires back to the trunk.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
PetrolDave said:
gsteever said:
If you want satellite radio AND iPOD then you HAVE to run wires back to the trunk.
Second this statement. If you want to keep BOTH devices active, you MUST have audio signals going into and then back out of the SAT tuner. THe only way to do this is with 6 wires, and you've only got three wires installed from the factory.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there anyway to connect the iceLink to the CD-Changer adapter of my RNS-E wiring harness? I do not have a CD-Changer, nor do I plan on getting one. Since that port on the harness is not connected to anything, can't I use this instead?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts