Audi Forum banner

Dension IceLink (Apple iPod) with Nav+ (CD-based)

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  AudiA4B6US 
#1 ·
good thread on this topic from "bruck" in the Audiworld Audio forum. Bottomline: It works...as long as you have the latest version of the IceLink (I think it is called the "plus"). See www.dension.com for product details.

http://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/45648.phtml

I did not use any audi stock wiring for my installtion for a few reasons.

1) I learned that Nav+ and icelink only work together if you connect directly to the back of the headunit, so I could not run thru the trunk wire.

2) I actually ran the instructed "behind the head unit" wire past my ebrake and shifter behind my stereo into the rear of my nav+.

I have my bluetooth module located behind my glovebox (read: above passenger footwell) and I wired it all on it's own as well. I know alot of people have used audi's provided wires to do the job in different ways but I have not gone this route with any of my mods. I originally ran the CDC trunk cable for my icelink WAY BACK WHEN I didn't have nav+ and I am familiar with the pin outs of that cable if that's what you want. I just need to look up some of the notes I made, but I won't be as helpful for that setup because of the way I did mine in the end.

See less See more
#4 ·
TeddyBGame said:
I believe it can plug in ...in the trunk (round 13 pin connector) or behind the headunit. Check with Dension.com or check on the audio forum of audiworld.com.

-ted
Talked to Dension a couple of days back. Apparently, the IceLink plus works with the NAV+ only through the headunit connector and not the trunk connector. I'm exchanging my connector for a headunit one and hopefully that should solve my problem.

Rajesh

#5 ·
Did the headunit connector work out for you?

My iPod is giving me trouble and I am thinking about upgrading to this as well.

rajeshr said:
TeddyBGame said:
I believe it can plug in ...in the trunk (round 13 pin connector) or behind the headunit. Check with Dension.com or check on the audio forum of audiworld.com.

-ted
Talked to Dension a couple of days back. Apparently, the IceLink plus works with the NAV+ only through the headunit connector and not the trunk connector. I'm exchanging my connector for a headunit one and hopefully that should solve my problem.

Rajesh

#7 ·
Ice Link Users: New firmware fixes remaining Nav+ bugs!

Thanks to Lou Brucker (aka "Bruck"; brucku@nc.rr.com) for working closely with Dension to fix these few remaining bugs with the IceLink and Nav+ (CD-based). I am posting this for Lou because he is still awaiting his registration to this forum so he can post/repond etc. Are the moderator's listening? :)

Here is Lou's note from the Yahoo forum:

I have posted some information about a new dension beta firmware, it is available in many languages, but I have only aquired the US version so far. Link to download and details are in this post on AudiWorld Audio forum.

http://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/47390.phtml

I got a hold of a US beta firmware version 2.f11, it was designed to address a few of the remaining nav+ (blaupunkt) head unit bugs.

Bugs that it has fixed for me:
1) I think volume of ipod is now closer to volume of radio
2) Ipod no longer switches itself out of "shuffle" mode
3) 1 second mutes when using navigation and tone/info buttons is gone

Overall, I've seen no new problems, Definately the best my icelink has ever worked. I have an icelink ver 2.02 (hardware version). Dension is shipping units with this new beta firmware to customers who have the nav+, so it doesnt seem to be dangerous, since they have a bit of faith in it.

Firmware Zip file (follow instructions, ignore extra update.mp3 file):
http://www.mjruschak.net/downloads/Update ICEV2.2f11.zip

#9 ·
Re: I gave up with my Blitzsafe, my PIE adapter arrives tomo

Yup ICELink works great!

I think I found the ground issue in the harness but did not bother fixing it once the ICELink was installed. I just wanted it DONE!

J

siberian said:
Hopefully going direct to the headunit will work. Bluetooth works great (Parrot kit) and the navplus is awesome. Just need my ipod back!

#11 ·
Re: Nav+ and icelink

Yea, my existing CDC would not work so I moved to the icelink (still CDC, just on the headunit instead of in the trunk) and it works fine.

Sound quality is noticeably worse though. Not sure if its the nav+ or the icelink.

J

wojtekh said:
I ve haqd iceLink installed with Symphony II, and when I swithced to Nav+ i ve just pluged icelink into cdc changer - so it was either cdc or icelink, both will not work.

#12 ·
Re: Nav+ and icelink

wojtekh said:
I ve haqd iceLink installed with Symphony II, and when I swithced to Nav+ i ve just pluged icelink into cdc changer - so it was either cdc or icelink, both will not work.
Check the ground on the IceLink. Keep in mind, in the Sym II, the CDC (trunk or glovebox) has a ground point in the red 10 pin connector. As you know the red 10 pin connector doesn't exist in the Nav+ and the CDC ground is relocated to to the black 20 pin connector. See my pix below for the schematic. Give it a shot. Good luck!

#14 ·
bjornthans said:
is there anyone who can tell me if theres a way to control a video ipod thru the navi plus unit in tv/video mode?
There is no device known today that would allow you to control the iPod form the RNS-E while the iPod is connected to the AV port on the RNS-E.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.