Audi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have actually bid on a few eBay RNS-E units. Everytime I would place a bid, someone else would keep outbidding me so I would outbid him. As soon as I outbid him he would retract his bid leaving me with a much higher bid than I intended. I feel like EBay is a scam as far as actual product, and service. One guy could have afew ebay accounts and just keep outbidding his own product to draw a higher price. I would stay away from ebay when it comes to high end electronics. :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
It does seem unethical if that is what was really happening.

However, you have the option not to outbid. Don't make a bid higher than you are willing to pay.

What did you end up paying? Does it work?

·
Registered
103 Posts
caykroyd said:
However, you have the option not to outbid. Don't make a bid higher than you are willing to pay.
Absolutely right. Getting friends to bid or using other logins is nothing new on eBay, you just have to bid at what you can afford or what you think an item is worth. Vendors with perfect or near-perfect feedback are very unlikely to take part in this kind of thing too, so check their history.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You wanna see a 99.9% scam auction? Look at 150069362081.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
That's beautyful :D lol

registered in Germany
item location Chicago

They know that people would not risk sending money to German eBay so they use trick to show that item is located in US.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Plus the fact the photos are of a European unit and the description states that it is a US unit..

·
Registered
18 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
Damn, I just won that auction.

It's a scam? How can you tell it's a Euro and not US unit? The seller has sold two previous RNS-e's with the same descriptions to other buyers. I've messaged them see what their experiences were like. One of the older buyers is definitely a real person and not a fake bot/scam buyer.

That sucks. I thought I just got an amazing deal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Euro units have a CD/TV button while US units have a CD/SD button.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I shoulda figured this deal was too good to be true.

Oh well, I'll keep my money and risk the negative feedback.

-Jacob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Update

Here's a response I received from someone who bought a unit from the same seller with an identical item description.

Seems very encouraging:

"He sent the unit it was in brand new condition and he made a big effort to ship it quickly. I recieved it in NY in about 4-5 days. He packaged it perfectly, and gave me a copy on the dvd, and the access code was written on the side of the unit. He also included a manual. What you see in the pic isnt what you get, I think the units are brand new and then repackaged. He hasnt yet sent me all the adapter, so be specific about what you are getting. I was able to power it up, without problem. But I havent been able to verify the software. It seems to be US since the radio is FM, when powered. Let me know how he treats you also since I was considering buying more units if everything goes well. Use paypal since you will be the most protected. I love the unit and cant wait to install it. You will need a vag computer to program it to the car. Or you could probably bring it to Audi and they will do it for you. Or look at www.navplus.us . Chris

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
.jacob said:
Use paypal since you will be the most protected.
The "protection" offered by Paypal is mostly useless - it has a very low limit (less than the cost of an RNS-E) and in the vast majority of cases Paypal (=eBay, who own them) find an "excuse" not to return your money.

·
Registered
74 Posts
.jacob said:
UpdateIt seems to be US since the radio is FM, when powered.
FM is used worldwide. Having FM doesn't mean it's a US unit.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
If you are in US and unit is obviously in Europe...you are not protected at all.
You can just call Paypal if you don't believe me.

I don't know why and how but US eBay has nothing to do with German or UK eBay. Accordingly Paypal is not covering overseas auctions.

Unfortunately I learned about it hard way ](*,)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts